The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A "natural" Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A "natural" Bordeaux

by Saina » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:27 pm

NV (but actually 2009) Clos de Mounissens Vin de Table Français "Une Vie après l'Autre" - France, Vin de Table Français (10/4/2012)
David Poutays seems to like doing everything differently. When the law states that alcohol must be either x,0% or x,5% on the label, Poutays prints labels with 13,2%. Since this is a Vin de Table he is not allowed to put a vintage on the label, so instead he brands the DIAM cork with 2009. He makes a wine from southern Gironde at St.-Pierre-d'Aurillac in a classic Bordeaux blend (44% Merlot, 38% Cabernet Sauvignon and 18% Cabernet Franc) which he ages in neutral oak sur lie for 12 months. He doesn't add any sulphur and uses just ambient yeasts so this can be classified as "natural".

The first truly striking thing is how classically warm year Bordeaux this smells like (but without any oak interference - if you can actually imagine this situation with Bordeaux! :D ). It has ripe, dark, sweet fruit but wonderful leafy freshness and quite delicious damp earth aromas, too. The palate shows a slight kinship with Cornelissen's wines from Etna, but not as strongly as in the couple previous vintages I have had of this wine. Very ripe, but still recognisable as a Bordeaux blend; lovely, ripe but palate refreshing tannins; low in acidity, but the freshness from the tannins make up for that. Of the 2005 I still wrote that it was on the wild end of the "natural" spectrum. In 2009 I can no longer say that: this may be philosophically a part of the "natural" movement, but the aromas and sensations are pretty much mainstream - but they are mainstream of excellent quality IMO. I really like this. But I can't come up with many other names in Bordeaux that go the "natural" path: Tire Pé, La Haie(?), Rousset-Peyraguey are, but are there others too? Surely there must be?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: A "natural" Bordeaux

by Hoke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Since this is a Vin de Table he is not allowed to put a vintage on the label,

Mr. Poutays will likely be very happy that the rules are changing to allow VdP wines to vintage date, Otto. Plus ca change.