Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Huts and Four Species / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:16 am

bsd
There can be an experience where one steps out of their ussual space to reinforce an appreciation of that which is within.
Have a good one; h
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Huts and Four Species / WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov and moadim l'simcha!

Friday night:

I feel a bit ashamed as I may have lived for 13 months in California yet I didn't take, not even once!, the opportunity to taste Hagafen's wines. As strange as it may sound to some of you, none of my many hosts had any Hagafen wine on tap during my time there. Still, this was mostly my fault as I could have purchased some myself or even visit the winery... :oops:
So last night I had my first Hagafen wine ever, and while I assume it was far from being one the winery's best, it still was pretty good. I bought 3 bottles at a shop in Tel Aviv last week (the shop is also the importer) and you wouldn't believe the ridiculously low price I paid (about a 1/3 of the US average price and it was regular retail price, this was not a wholesale nor any sort of shop owner privilege). I was a bit concerned more about the drinking window rather than about the storage conditions as the shop is very reliable. Well, good news: It was drinking perfectly well despite being drink-up in Rogov's book.

Hagafen, Pinot Noir Napa Valley 2006: Light garnet, with on the nose cherry pie and toasty oak, medium-bodied with on the palate ripe cherries, red currants, basil, with hints of vanilla rising with soft integrated tannins on an average finish. Nice but I wish I could have purchased one of their higher-end wines (they had also the Cabernet Sauvignon Napa 2003 of which I bought 2 bottles).

Shabbat lunch:

Binyamina Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: A great QPR winner as always.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Friday Night: Adir A 2009, Barkan superieur 2006 and Alon 2010
Shabbat Lunch : Yaffo Carignan 2009, Alexander Liza Chardonay 2009,Gvaot Chardonay Gevurztramner 2010 and Alexander Shiraz 2010
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi.

Herzog Special Reserve Late Harvest Chenin Blanc 2010
Recanati Shiraz 2010
Gush Etzion Lone Oak Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:47 am

Friday night: 2009 Paul Etienne Beaujolais-Villages, still a very nice wine even though 3 years old; 2001 Freemark Abbey dry riesling; eleven years old and still holding up well; the bottle was finished, which doesn't always happen with white wine at our place.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:55 pm

Tzuba Merlot 2007, pretty nice, full bodied, with a hint of bitterness that dissipated by the end of the meal.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Yarden syrah 2005. Nice nose and a fruit fowar mouthfeel. Strangely though it felt as if any alcohol had dissipated to the feel of a 12% wine. Also had yiron 07 which started nicely but the felt lacking as the bottle continued. But better than a lot of others I'm sure. H
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:50 pm

On tap for tonight, the last night we will be having guests in the sukkah:

1998 Joseph Swan Mancini ranch zinfandel
2005 Schloss Schonborn Johannisberger Klaus kabinett
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Wound up serving kosher wine:

2009 Domaine Netofa red (not the Latour): A blend of syrah and mourvedre with the earthiness of both wines but without much spice included. I think that other reviewers concur that this wine, which is similar to a Cotes-du-Rhone, is more expensive than one of those and not any better (might even be not as good but I haven't tasted any kosher CdRs for some time). It's drinkable, but even at a bit of a sale price ("only" $ 17.99) doesn't have a good QPR.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi Harry,

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir Fagan Creek, Block 38, 2008 - The wine features nice fruit in the form of cherry, complemented by some spiciness. The color was a bright translucent violet, and the body was springy, making it easy drinking and enjoyable; however, it does not show the potential of the grape. Too bad. And I say this even though this might very well be the best Pinot the kosher world has to offer, and it is a great alternative to the heavier cabs. $55 on release. B-/*

PS My grading might be rather harsh this week, as I understand that grapes in California can be quite expensive, but I'm trying to make a point.

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed