The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two For Dinner/Dessert...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two For Dinner/Dessert...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Susan & I tried these two Sat night:
1. Dehlinger Syrah EastFace/RRV (EB; 15.2%) 2005: Very dark color w/ no bricking; very strong blackberry/black cherry/Syrah rather spicy/peppery/cold-climate some pencilly/Pinotish/oak really attractive nose; rather hard/tannic/structured intense blackberry/Syrah/black cherry rather peppery/cold-climate some pencilly/toasty/charred/oak flavor; very long very strong blackberry/Syrah/black cherry some pencilly/toasty/oak w/ rather hard/unyielding tannins; very structured w/ ample fruit and needs another 4-8 yrs. $45.00
2. Chappellet Moelleux CheninBlanc NapaVlly WTW (Botrytis; SaH: 32 Brix; RS: 9.5%; 13.5%; 2480 hlf btls) 1994: Deep golden/burnished bronze color; slight volatile very intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty no CB some toasty/Fr.oak almost piney beautiful fragrant/perfumed some complex nose; quite sweet fairly tart/acid very intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty quite honeyed/caramel/butterscotch puddin' slight earthy beautiful/complex flavor; very long very intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty/honeyed quite tart rather complex finish; quite tart and should go another 10-20 yrs; terrific Calif botrytis wine.
$30.00/hlf
1. Dehlinger: This was a pretty unusual Dehlinger Syrah for me; a bit atypical. Tom's Syrahs tend to taste like Syrahs made by a Pinot producer...on the lighter side, more elegant. This Syrah displayed more cold-climate/peppery character than I've seen in his Syrahs before. And it was a bigger, more tannic/structured Syrah...not so much like his Pinots as before. A terrific Syrah.
2. Chappellet: Now here's a wnry that's been quietly making great wines since the late '60's. I was there and followed Donn's wines from the very start. Way back then, PhilipTogni was Donn's winemaker. Some legenndary Cabs back in those days. And, from the few I've had over the last few yrs, they continue to be one of NapaVlly's best. They're just not the new/hot kid on the black.
CheninBlanc was always a favorite wine of Donn's. His dry CheninBlanc was one of the best from Calif in that scorned genre. He only made a few botrytis examples, as this one was. This didn't have the racy minerality you get in a Loire version, but this was as good as any Calif botrytis wine as you can get.
Tom
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Two For Dinner/Dessert...(short/boring)

by Andrew Bair » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi Tom -

Thank you again for the interesting notes. I wasn't aware that Chappellet made a late harvest Chenin in the past, but it sounds very nice.