Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cashel blue cheese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cashel blue cheese

by Jenise » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:17 pm

The best blue cheese I've ever tasted is Spanish Cabrales. A good Cabrales will be creamy, sweet, tangy, buttery and nutty, and for my tastes nothing else comes close. Only problem is I rarely see it up here. So when I needed a blue a few weeks ago, I chose Cashel because I'd not had it before and I didn't see anything else compelling where I was shopping. And I discovered a cheese that is creamy, sweet, tangy, buttery and nutty in a way very similar to my beloved Cabrales! Going on memory alone I'd say there are some textural differences that would keep Cabrales in front for me (Cashel is a slightly wetter cheese), but as I'm unable to get Cabrales at all, this will do very very nicely.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Cashel blue cheese

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Have you tried Saint-Agur?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:33 pm

What do you think about Point Reyes Blue, Jenise? I tend to be a Europhile, but Point Reyes is a blue that makes me very happy, more so than even the perhaps more famous Maytag blue.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Yes it's a very good blue cheese, that oddly we haven't had for a couple of years. Such is life.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:What do you think about Point Reyes Blue, Jenise? I tend to be a Europhile, but Point Reyes is a blue that makes me very happy, more so than even the perhaps more famous Maytag blue.

Yes I've had it, but it didn't impress me as buttery-nutty in the way the Cabrales, alone in my experience until I met the Cashel, does. Good stuff, though.

And speaking of blues--is there anyone else who thinks that Maytag isn't as good these days as it used to be?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Going on memory alone I'd say there are some textural differences that would keep Cabrales in front for me (Cashel is a slightly wetter cheese), but as I'm unable to get Cabrales at all, this will do very very nicely.

I'm not sure I have ever seen this cheese but I was wondering why you don't order it online? There are several items I cannot find here in Redding so I order online and even though some shipping is involved, it is a treat to have that special ingredient. Just curious! Another thought, sometimes when I order from a company, I am able to bulk order several things and they give you free shipping.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Jenise wrote:
And speaking of blues--is there anyone else who thinks that Maytag isn't as good these days as it used to be?

The last couple of times I've had Maytag, I've been disappointed.

I do like the Saint-Agur a lot, too. Haven't had Cashel, to my knowledge.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:30 am

I love Cabrales as well but I was totally bewildered when I saw at least 6 different offerings based on age in a store in Madrid. They ranged from totally hard, dry, dark discs to weepy, yellow, soft and everything in between. Would have taken a few months of tastes and trials to get to know the tastes and niche for each age.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:41 am

I'm a big blue cheese fan and usually get some at least two times a month. Mostly gorgonzola for cooking (bleu d'auvergne is another core option) but will look into this today at the store for something different.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:59 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Going on memory alone I'd say there are some textural differences that would keep Cabrales in front for me (Cashel is a slightly wetter cheese), but as I'm unable to get Cabrales at all, this will do very very nicely.

I'm not sure I have ever seen this cheese but I was wondering why you don't order it online? There are several items I cannot find here in Redding so I order online and even though some shipping is involved, it is a treat to have that special ingredient. Just curious! Another thought, sometimes when I order from a company, I am able to bulk order several things and they give you free shipping.

I'm no stranger to online ordering, Karen, but have to admit it never occurred to me to buy cheese this way. Seattle's Whole Foods Markets, when I'm down there, offer a fab cheese selection and so do several purveyors to the north in Vancouver. I have several smaller-scale sources here in town too to save me from resorting to the typical grocery store options--it's just that Cabrales, though it has been here in the past, hasn't been seen in some time. Too, I don't even think I would ever order enough cheese at once to offset the cost of cold shipping. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Have you tried Saint-Agur?

Yes, and it's great stuff. But it's not as nutty as Cabrales.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:28 pm

I don't even think I would ever order enough cheese at once to offset the cost of cold shipping

Yes, I know what you mean. The cold shipping, especially into Redding can cost more than the product itself. I usually have to wait until winter sets in and then try to find my product as close to Redding as possible. Oakville Grocery is a good outlet for me in the Napa Valley area.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:41 pm

FYI, the head cheese maker during Maytag's rise to glory (deserved, IMO) then moved to Point Reyes Creamery some years ago when they started their climb to fame.

I've been to the creamery and I've met the family. Excellent operation; fantastic cheese. And the family is devoted to quality. Nice people too.

I agree with Jenise on the Cabrales--richer, nuttier, creamier, somewhat akin to real Roquefort but more nutty, less salty.

Careful though, as pointed out, different aging really alters the profile of the cheese.