Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Beginning / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:33 am

BSD
Imagine the most noble grape possible,processed by the greatest vinter ever; aged in barrels of a wood that would impart the most subtle yet exquisite nuances. Can one fathom the folly of partaking of such an elixir before its proper time.
There are times we want very much to say or do-
yet if we would wait just a little longer
it can make all the difference.
Have a good one; h
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

Re: Beginning / WeeksEnd wine

by Birger Vejrum » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Harry,

I hope you are well.

Fratelli Grasso in Treiso, Barberesco Sori Valgrande 2006 tonight.

All the best
Birger
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov!

Well, I did follow your advice for lunch as I had a wine which was at its peak. I don't know whether Ernie Weir is the best winemaker in the world but he certainly is quite an excellent one for sure! 8) American wine shabbat for me! :D

Friday night:

B.R. Cohn, Cabernet Sauvignon, Trestle Glen Estate Vineyard 2008: Deep garnet in color with a concentrated nose bursting with ripe blue fruit and lightly toasted oak, followed on the palate of this medium to full-bodied wine by cherries, black currants, red plums, cigar tobacco with slightly sweet and spicy wood as well as hints of bitter dark chocolate rising with almost integrated tannins on the averagely long finish. Nice, clean and smooth. For some reason I did expect a bit more complexity and perhaps something different yet this is a fine CabSav and I can but only say a big thank you for this unexpected yet greatly appreciated birthday gift given to me a few months ago by one of our fellow members here.

Shabbat lunch:

Hagafen, Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2003: Dark garnet with on the nose ripe black currants, blackberries and vanilla, full-bodied with on the palate bright black fruit alongside sweet cherries, toasty cedar wood, milk chocolate and soft silky tannins on the long almost creamy finish. Delicious, clearly at its peak, throwing a bit of sediment but definitely not over the hill yet I'd drink any bottle left within the next 6-9 months. Now, just for you all to be jealous :twisted: (Joel D Parker, Chaim and all the folks living nearby - if you're interested please read carefully): I paid only 59 shekels for this bottle! Yes! :D 15 US DOLLARS for a Hagafen Cab! (bought 2 in addition to the Pinot '06 I had over sukkot). Available at Mandel's Drinks 200 Ben Yehuda St. Tel Aviv.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Nice one.

2009 Psagot Edom.

Hi, Birger, been awhile.

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Yarden Syrah 2005 - excellent as always - this one did taste a little differently than others - it smelled and tasted a little too aged when poured initially but that blew off pretty quickly and the wine was delicious - full bodied and very intense, dark fruits, with a very nice long finish.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:25 am

Invited to dinner at friends last night; was served 2007 Mt. Hermon red. Label said it was a Bordeaux blend; unfortunately, as I had expected, over the hill.
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:33 am

Saslove Marriage 2010- perfect with the roast my wife made for Shabbat

Vignobles David Cotes du Villages Reserve 2010- superb

Good week to all.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:03 am

BS"D

Shavua Tov Harry :)

2009 Shirah - Power to the People (at my table all were impressed and smelled an tasted over and over :) Love the JAM and smooooth subtle spice BIG.
2011 Weinstock Petite sirah :)
2005 Sforna Monastrell Dolce :)
2009 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon :) please wait 3+ hours in decanter :)
Last edited by Yehoshua Werth on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am

Hi Harry,

Asif AvantGarde 2009 - This dry wine is a blend of five different varieties, and each makes itself felt at different times. Overall I found the austerity of the Sauvingnon Blanc (30%), Chardonnay (21%) and Semillon (7%) to dominate the opulence of the Gewurztraminer (30%) and the Viognier (12%). This wine is constantly morphing, assuming different guises every time I have it. At this juncture and with this meal it didn't go all that well. 13.5% AbV. C+/**

Hagafen Syrah 2003 - At first the high astringent notes were the only perceptible ones, but eventually the oak began contributing its bass line, and raspberry fruit filled in the middle registers with its melodious notes. Nonetheless, I still felt the astringency to be too much for me. 13% AbV. C+/**

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
no avatar
User

Philip Aron

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 am

by Philip Aron » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 am

Hi Harry,

Dalton, Carbernet Sauvignon, 2011 "D" , IMHO the very best CPP product of its type on the local market. Paid 55 NIS.

Note: A fair price from a wine dealer, selling the products of a winery with the stated aim of offering good products at a fair price. Three satisfied partners in one operation.
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:50 am

Hi Harry.

Ella Valley Cabernet Franc 2009- Amazing, well structured and with just enough green to keep things interesting. Must buy more.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi; very much enjoyed Dalton shiraz 09. H
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night we celebrated our daughter's engagement with Gvaot Masada 2007, Glenlivet 18 year and some Cava.
Shabbat lunch - Barkan Assemblage Reichan 2008 and Trio The Spirit of Jerusalem Heights 2010.
Shavua tov.
Zvi
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Z Spigelman wrote:Hi Harry.
Friday night we celebrated our daughter's engagement with Gvaot Masada 2007, Glenlivet 18 year and some Cava.
Shabbat lunch - Barkan Assemblage Reichan 2008 and Trio The Spirit of Jerusalem Heights 2010.
Shavua tov.
Zvi

Mazal Tov!
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Friday night: Gvaot Herodian Cab 2010, Barkan Superieur Cab 2006, domaine Ventura Cab Franc 2009
Shabbat day Bravdo Coupage 2009
Tonight: alexander Sandro 2008
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Golan Heights Winery, Gamla, Nebbiolo, 2008
Saslove, Marriage, 2010
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Mazal Tov Zvi! May it be a binyan adei ad!

As usual, began with 2011 Flam Rose (A-/**) for kiddush. It proved so popular with my guests that I had to open a second bottle.

2009 Dalton Wild Yeast Viognier: A/*** This is the wine that keeps on giving. Every bottle is a new experience as it slowly matures from the super-floral light wine it was in its youth to a more honeyed form. Still retains bright floral notes and stone fruit.

2005 Yarden Blanc de Blanc: A-/*** Opened a bottle to celebrate my son's birthday. Yum!

2006 Covenant Red C: B+ to A-/** Unfortunately, I felt this wine to be just beginning to slip past its prime. Don't get me wrong--there's no sign of oxidation or spoilage--it's just that I liked this wine far better in its youth. The bold spiciness I loved it for has settled down and now it's more of a typical well-balanced cabernet that is very good but doesn't stand out the way it used to.

2009 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon: ? Try as I might, I couldn't get this wine to open up even by the end of the meal. I would've loved to try it the next day, but my guests were all too happy to finish it.

2011 Alfasi Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest: B-/*** A very reasonably priced dessert wine with nice fruit but it had a faint unpleasantly bitter finish.
User

Jeff Adler

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm

by Jeff Adler » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:08 am

Friday night - Galil Mountain Yiron 2008 - Simple pleasure :)
Shabbat Lunch - Covenant Sauvignon Blanc 2011 - Very much enjoyed this vintage over the previous one.

Cheers

Jeff
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Fri Night - Dalton Zin 2010, very nice with Roast
Sat Lunch - Bartenura Valpolicella and a Duvel
User

R Liberman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

by R Liberman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi Harry,

Friday night: Tulip Just Merlot 2012 - Well balanced tannins - a delicious Merlot!
Shabbat Lunch: Prix Chardonnay (2010?) - At first, I wasn't sure this was better than the regular Hagafen Oak Knoll Chardonnay which is one of our favorites. However, once it opened up, it was a different story. Deliciously delightful!
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:17 am

Once again, I missed the Peraj Petita--this time a 2010 (B+/***). (I use my postings here to periodically update my cellartracker with wines drunk on shabos, so I have to correct any mistakes :lol: ) Still rather closed--needs another 6 months or so to open up.
no avatar
User

Marc G

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 pm

by Marc G » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:31 am

2000 Haut Breton Lariguadiere - What a surprise. Very nice wine still drinking well.
2005 Herzog Alexander Cab
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 pm

At a shul event, Baron Herzog Zinfandel 2008 and Chardonnay 2008. Terrific values a year ago at under $10/bottle. These are losing their charm and developing some stewed flavors. Still just fine to wash down pasta salad and cholent, but I am glad we are about out.
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:Hi, Birger, been awhile.

Isaac

Hi Isaac,

I am still here but do not post much.

All the best
Birger
Next