Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Where did all the good burgers go? :(

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Where did all the good burgers go? :(

by Carrie L. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59 pm

So I took my staff out to lunch today and for some reason have been craving a burger. We went to a local restaurant that has just about anything you'd want and everything is always outstanding, so thought I was safe in ordering a burger. It was obviously "good" beef, probably ground sirloin, and nothing was wrong with the bun, toppings or condiments, but it was just so dry. Yes it was medium-well but I remember the good old days when burgers had a little fat in them to make them juicy and tasty regardless of how well-done they were. It didn't satisfy my craving, so I guess I'll just have to make them at home from now on with some good old fashioned ground chuck.
Anyone else missing the old fashioned burger?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Daisy D

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:43 pm

PVB, FL

Re: Where did all the good burgers go? :(

by Daisy D » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm not missing them right now, but I know exactly what craving you're talking about. It's the kind of craving that only a medium-cooked, hand-formed, 1/2 pound with a slice of American cheese (for meltability purposes) topped with a fresh piece of Bibb lettuce, a thick slice of the ripest tomato and a hint of ketchup on a toasted bun can fix. Juicy enough that it drips down your chin as you eat it, but cooked well enough that it doesn't fall apart in the bun. Changing it up every now & then with a couple pieces of bacon or a slice of avocado (or both) isn't a bad idea either.

I had surgery several years ago and had my jaw wired shut for a short time. I craved a burger like that almost every day.
...Eating is the only form of professionalism most people ever attain. - Don Delillo
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm

We have a five unit chain that started here in Rochester and goes now ranges from Portland, ME to Worchester, MA called Wild Willie's. They consistantly win allocades in their localles. Mmmm good.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Can't remember the last time I ate a restaurant burger. I can buy quality local ground beef and whip up a yummy burger in no time and if I want the sumabitch rare I can have it rare. :0
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Redwinger wrote:Can't remember the last time I ate a restaurant burger. I can buy quality local ground beef and whip up a yummy burger at home in no time and if I want the sumabitch rare I can have it rare. :0
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:17 pm

You're so senile that you're quoting yourself now, 'winger? Or was that your version of an Instant Replay?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Hoke wrote:You're so senile that you're quoting yourself now, 'winger? Or was that your version of an Instant Replay?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:53 pm

Between the goverment's attempts to prevent us from getting e-coli and the health nazis' desire to eradicate all fat, it's become nearly impossible to get a great burger. Where I live, there's actually a chain called Bob's Burgers & Brew that's probably the premier casual sit-down restaurant, and as the name implies the menu's all about burgers. And how's their meat? Gristle-y and tough, from frozen. Why anyone would ever go back I can't guess, I never did--but I have a feeling I'm the only person who ever complained.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Hoke wrote:You're so senile that you're quoting yourself now, 'winger? Or was that your version of an Instant Replay?

Next year I get to hide my own Easter eggs.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:40 pm

After Gene and I had our family, we started buying beef in bulk. Since he was in the meat business when we first married, he did the ordering. He always asked to have bull meat added to our ground meat, when I asked him why, he said, to add some lean in with all that fatty meat. We had great burgers, very juicy and tasty. The meat does not taste the same as it did then and neither do my favorite family recipes I made when the kids were home. Those lasagna casseroles, etc. are not the same.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Local beef for homemade burger's. Have not had a restaurant burger in quite a while.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:07 pm

There are still good ones to be had around here, but you need to know where to look. A restaurant called Jamie's, not too far from our house, does an excellent burger.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:06 pm

Around me, the mom and pop restaurants do the best job. Chains don't.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:37 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Local beef for homemade burger's. Have not had a restaurant burger in quite a while.

Burger night at Dave's house!!! We can all be there by 6:00.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov