Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ravioli

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Ravioli

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:14 am

So, I bought a ravioli attachment for my pasta maker recently and have been making them for 3 days. I've filled my freezer with cheese, meat and butternut squash ravioli. Those little suckers are a lot of work.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Ravioli

by Jon Peterson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:56 am

I'm a little jealous, Howie, and wish I had your freezer. Ravioli are a lot of work but now, in your freezer, they are like money in the bank.
What kind of pasta maker do you use?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 am

I have the Marcato Atlas 150 pasta machine and I recently bought the Fantes ravioli maker ($20) at a shop in Portsmouth, NH, which fits the Atlas: http://www.fantes.com/pasta-makers-parts.html.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:29 am

Howie Hart wrote:I have the Marcato Atlas 150 pasta machine and I recently bought the Fantes ravioli maker ($20) at a shop in Portsmouth, NH, which fits the Atlas: http://www.fantes.com/pasta-makers-parts.html.

Interesting, Howie. I confess that we just use the traditional method of rolling out two sheets, spooning the filling onto one, placing the second sheet over it and then cutting out the shapes. Most of the time I use the rim of a small cup to cut out round shapes, though one can simply cut squares out using a knife. The edges then get crimped with a fork. With a little practice, I find that it can be done fairly quickly and simply. YMMV of course.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 am

We can make it quite rapidly by using the ravioli maker that just sits on the counter. You put the dough on it and push it into the depressions. Then you fill them, put another dough on top, and crimp and cut it. Viola!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Howie, that's wonderful. How does it work--does it cut perforations into the dough that tear apart easily after stuffing?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:59 am

Jenise wrote:Howie, that's wonderful. How does it work--does it cut perforations into the dough that tear apart easily after stuffing?
It make indentations, but they are not complete. It produces a sheet, 2 wide and 5-7 long, depending on how long the pasta sheet is. I finish the cut with my mother's old zigzag wheel. For the dough I use 1-1/2 cups bread flour, 1/2 cup semolina, 2 large eggs and about a tablespoon of water and run half of it through the pasta machine (which has settings from 1-9) at a time, 6 times on 1 then thinner up to 7. I'm taking the butternut squash raviolis with butter-sage sauce to a Fall bonfire party on Saturday.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 am

Howie Hart wrote:
Jenise wrote:Howie, that's wonderful. How does it work--does it cut perforations into the dough that tear apart easily after stuffing?
It make indentations, but they are not complete. It produces a sheet, 2 wide and 5-7 long, depending on how long the pasta sheet is. I finish the cut with my mother's old zigzag wheel. For the dough I use 1-1/2 cups bread flour, 1/2 cup semolina, 2 large eggs and about a tablespoon of water and run half of it through the pasta machine (which has settings from 1-9) at a time, 6 times on 1 then thinner up to 7. I'm taking the butternut squash raviolis with butter-sage sauce to a Fall bonfire party on Saturday.

Okay, that's how I thought it would have to work. Your Atlas has settings 1-9? I'm pretty sure my old one, and my Kitchen Aid attachment, both only go to six or seven at the highest. Nine must be super thin. And, bread flour! I've not used bread flour before, though I've used the flour-semolina blend and agree it's the best for ravioli. Bread flour probably makes those thin sheets extra strong.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:25 am

Jenise wrote:
Okay, that's how I thought it would have to work. Your Atlas has settings 1-9? I'm pretty sure my old one, and my Kitchen Aid attachment, both only go to six or seven at the highest. Nine must be super thin.

Mine goes to 11. :lol: Actually, 5. I can't imagine what a setting of 9 would give me.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Mine goes to 11. :lol:
Mark Lipton

I HAVE to get one of those!!!!!

:mrgreen:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:35 pm

I think the settings could be spaced differently. The 5 on one machine might be the same thickness as 9 on another.
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

by Gary Bobier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:22 pm

You are correct. The pasta is not thinner on 9 as aposed to 5. You just area able to have more of a choice of thickness when you have 9 settings.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Ummmm, love butternut squash ravioli with sage butter. I have beautiful sage plant in my herb garden and it does not get the use it should. I should make up a browned butter sage sauce to serve over pasta. Frost will soon hit and my plant will loose it's leaves until spring. :(