The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Demolition Hill

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

Demolition Hill

by Lars Carlberg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:18 am

A short article on Demolition Hill, also known as Batterieberg. Although Immich-Batterieberg's classic, playful Jugendstil label depicts two cherubs firing a canon, Batterieberg was created by a battery of demolition charges rather than canonballs.
Last edited by Lars Carlberg on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: Demolition Hill

by Salil » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 am

Still fishing for subscriptions?
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:02 am

Salil wrote:Still fishing for subscriptions?

Yes, Salil, if that's the way you would like to put it.
Last edited by Lars Carlberg on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Then your post is commercial. That is out of bounds.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:30 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Then your post is commercial. That is out of bounds.

I edited (shortened) my previous reply. You may still report the post, so that the link to my (free) article gets removed. It doesn't bother me.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Lars,

I do not intend to remove the link, but would respectfully (and I do indeed mean it that way) request that you not just post links to your site. That's just using Robin's free wine discussion board to drive traffic to your site. Whether the article is free or not does not matter, as you are (and you said as much before you edited) trying to use the free articles to drive subscriptions.

I do wish you well on your site. When it gets further established I might join as well. We (including me) also value your input on the subject of German wine. Please though, consider at least posting a meaningful excerpt of your articles when you post the links, rather than just sending traffic to your site.

Robin - if you disagree with me please follow up.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:45 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Lars,

I do not intend to remove the link, but would respectfully (and I do indeed mean it that way) request that you not just post links to your site. That's just using Robin's free wine discussion board to drive traffic to your site. Whether the article is free or not does not matter, as you are (and you said as much before you edited) trying to use the free articles to drive subscriptions.

I do wish you well on your site. When it gets further established I might join as well. We (including me) also value your input on the subject of German wine. Please though, consider at least posting a meaningful excerpt of your articles when you post the links, rather than just sending traffic to your site.

Robin - if you disagree with me please follow up.

OK. Thanks, David.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:39 pm

David wrote:Robin - if you disagree with me please follow up.

I don't disagree in the sense that yes, we'd prefer to have some substantive information included with link posts, because yes, conversation is what the forum is all about.

I would add not in disagreement but clarification that I don't mind Lars posting pointers to his blog. It's a good one, and worth visiting. But I'd like to see those links included with an abstract, at a minimum, that makes it easy for folks to join the conversation here without having to go read the blog post in full before they can do that.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I don't disagree in the sense that yes, we'd prefer to have some substantive information included with link posts, because yes, conversation is what the forum is all about.

I would add not in disagreement but clarification that I don't mind Lars posting pointers to his blog. It's a good one, and worth visiting. But I'd like to see those links included with an abstract, at a minimum, that makes it easy for folks to join the conversation here without having to go read the blog post in full before they can do that.

I agree with that.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:56 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David wrote:Robin - if you disagree with me please follow up.

I don't disagree in the sense that yes, we'd prefer to have some substantive information included with link posts, because yes, conversation is what the forum is all about.

Robin: Thanks for your compliment and understanding. As you and David suggested, I'll refrain from posting direct links to my site. In fact, I edited my post to add a tidbit about Batterieberg for the readers of this forum.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Lars Carlberg wrote:Robin: Thanks for your compliment and understanding. As you and David suggested, I'll refrain from posting direct links to my site. In fact, I edited my post to add a tidbit about Batterieberg for the readers of this forum.

Just to clarify, Lars, I don't mind if you do post direct links to your site. I ask only that those links be accompanied by at least an abstract so there is sufficient content on this end to inspire a conversation that doesn't require the reader to go read your article first.