The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Antinori wines at Ca Va Brasserie, NYC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Antinori wines at Ca Va Brasserie, NYC

by JC (NC) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:25 pm

I was a little impatient with the pacing of this event since I had a dinner reservation later in the evening. I thought we would be able to go from tasting station to station at our own pace but only passed hors d'oeuvres were available for the first hour and the organizers were reluctanct to pour the wines until the chafing dish food was ready to accompany the wines. We started with a Nicolas Feuillatte Rose' sparkling wine and the passed hors d'oeuvres which included tuna taratre on cucumber rounds, mini mushroom tart, bread with olive oil, mini pancake with creme fraiche and caviar, etc.

I obtained some of the Prunotto Roero Arneis before the pumpkin gnocchi was brought out. The wine was attractive with a floral and white fruit nose and minerality.
I skipped the Italian Chardonnay, Castello Della Sala (Antinori) Cervaro della Sala, Umbria, Italy. The vines are planted 656 to 1312 feet above sea level in Pleocene sedimentary soils rich in marine fossils with some clay.

The first red wine of the night was the 2007 Prunotto Fiulot Barbera d'Asti Costimole from a vineyard in the town of Agliano. Strong red fruit aromas in an inviting medium- to full-bodied wine. This was served with beets and root vegetables in sort of a stew.

The final wine I had been eagerly anticipating was the 2008 Tignanello. Tignanello is the original Super Tuscan from the 116-acre vineyard site at Antinori's Tignanello Estate. Aged in barriques, it blends Cabernet Sauvignon with Sangiovese. Deeply layered with cherries as a primary flavor element. Hints of oak. Should improve with some cellaring.

I was sorry I had to rush the tasting to get to Aureole for my dinner reservation.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Antinori wines at Ca Va Brasserie, NYC

by Andrew Bair » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi JC -

Thank you for the interesting notes - sorry that you had to rush through this tasting. I've generally liked Antinori's Tuscan reds, especially Tignanello and their Chianti Classico Riserva (never had Solaia, though). Not too familiar with Prunotto, which I haven't seen much around my area.

Although I haven't tried it, either, I am pretty sure that the Cervaro della Salla is a Chardonnay/Grechetto blend.