The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Hermitage Hill

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Hermitage Hill

by TomHill » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:17 am

Read ystrday a reasonably interesting (for WineSpec) article by Molesworthy on MichelChapoutier.
I've often seen pics of HermitageHill looking up at the chapel on the hill from below. This pic was of
Michel on the top of HermiitageHill. Made me sorta curious. Anybody seen the inside of that little
chapel...or have pics??
There appears to be a little tombstone in the ground just behind the chapel. Anybody know who's buried there??
Is his body fertilizing the nearby vines an accepted bio-dynamic procedure??
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Hermitage Hill

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:32 am

Good question Tom! Do not know the answer but nice precis here from Jamie Goode.

http://www.wineanorak.com/rhone/hillofhermitage.htm
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Thanks....

by TomHill » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:40 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Good question Tom! Do not know the answer but nice precis here from Jamie Goode.
http://www.wineanorak.com/rhone/hillofhermitage.htm

Thanks, Bob. Interesting pics...iit's a good start.
Tom
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: Hermitage Hill

by Victorwine » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:30 am

Wasn’t the original chapel destroyed and then rebuilt? I wonder if the structure is sound and safe to enter? Tell you the truth with a hole in the back wall I wouldn’t be surprised if it functioned as a “giant bat house”. I believe the tombstone is just a “marker” for the “best” site or “location” on the hill for a vineyard (La Chapelle).
I’m beginning to wonder if people get to go inside. No response to Tom’s question reminds me of the time while visiting the Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe back in the early eighties, they wouldn’t let me take pictures. But for a “reasonable” price I was able to buy a “post card” like booklet in the chapel’s gift shop. Fortunately for me after meeting up with ex Gruman-ite engineers and hiking some “back trails” in Northern New Mexico I returned to Santa Fe and got a much more “personal look” and “tour” of the Loretto Chapel and its miraculous spiral staircase.

Salute
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Hmmmm...

by TomHill » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Victorwine wrote:Wasn’t the original chapel destroyed and then rebuilt? I wonder if the structure is sound and safe to enter? Tell you the truth with a hole in the back wall I wouldn’t be surprised if it functioned as a “giant bat house”. I believe the tombstone is just a “marker” for the “best” site or “location” on the hill for a vineyard (La Chapelle).
I’m beginning to wonder if people get to go inside. No response to Tom’s question reminds me of the time while visiting the Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe back in the early eighties, they wouldn’t let me take pictures. But for a “reasonable” price I was able to buy a “post card” like booklet in the chapel’s gift shop. Fortunately for me after meeting up with ex Gruman-ite engineers and hiking some “back trails” in Northern New Mexico I returned to Santa Fe and got a much more “personal look” and “tour” of the Loretto Chapel and its miraculous spiral staircase.
Salute

Hmmmm, Victor..didn't know they forbade taking pics in the LorrettoChapel. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised....it all fits in w/ the
prevalent attitude in SantaFe of "take the tourists for all they're worth...and them some". And it gets even worse if you go to the Pueblos.
Glad you got an inside look at the LorrettoChapel. It's an absolutely beautiful chapel. The staircase is amazing. I go there from time-to-time
for chamber music and au capella choral concerts. A mind blowing venue. Especially at Christmas.
My girlfriend, Susan, once got to stand on the staircase. She had a bit part as a nun (totally miscast) in a movie that was filmed there.
Who were your ex-Gruman friends?? KathyGrastatero or Dan ??
Tom