The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 from Mâcon with strong preference for the more simple

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: 2 from Mâcon with strong preference for the more simple

by Tim York » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 am

I find fairly frequently that I prefer simple basic wines to more ambitious versions from the same or neighbouring appellations. It is all the more striking here in that the Mâcon-Villages comes from a fairly large négociant selling through supermarkets and the Pouilly-Fuissé comes from the négociant arm of Domaine Cordier, a higher respected grower, famous for luxuriously raised cuvées which I have usually found well integrated in the past.

Mâcon-Villages 2010 “Chardonnay” – Les Vins du Moulin, Auvigue – Alc.13% - (c.€5) was a model entry level Mâconnais white with medium body, fresh white fruit with a slightly creamy touch, nicely grainy minerals and lively acidity; 15.5/20++ QPR!!

Pouilly-Fuissé Terroir de Fuissé 2010 – Sélection Christophe Cordier – Alc.13.5% - (c.€17) was more ambitious than the previous and probably made with finer components but I liked it less. There was fuller body, suave creamy veering to buttery white fruit, decent acidity and minerals and somewhat intrusive wood induced notes of vanilla and caramel towards the finish with all these elements seeming to be in separate strands and rather disjointed. More age may integrate it better but I wouldn't bet on it; 14.5/20 for now.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2 from Mâcon with strong preference for the more simple

by Sam Platt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:07 am

Tim,

It looks like the 2010 Jadot Mâcon-Villages is going to be our most consumed wine in 2012. It's a wine that I dont spend much time pondering, but it makes a nice aperitif and works well with lighter cheeses. At $8 per bottle (case price) it is a great QPR.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Tim,

It looks like the 2010 Jadot Mâcon-Villages is going to be our most consumed wine in 2012. It's a wine that I dont spend much time pondering, but it makes a nice aperitif and works well with lighter cheeses. At $8 per bottle (case price) it is a great QPR.

Sam, Jadot is a much more respectable name than Auvigue and I would expect it to be even better in a similar vein. I seem to have been dropped off the tasting invitation list at Jadot's importer :( .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Tim,

The Jadot MV is widely available in the US. We had been drinking it regularly and this year a local wine shop offered me a couple of cases at $80 per case. I couldn't pass it up at that price.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins