The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Stellenbosch/Paarl visit

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Stellenbosch/Paarl visit

by Dave Erickson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:08 pm

I'm going to be in Cape Town, late January early February. It's been a dozen years since my last visit, and I'm looking for recommendations. What's the latest out of Stellenbosch and the Paarl? Who should I visit? Other areas with reach of Cape Town worth a visit?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Stellenbosch/Paarl visit

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Will email pal Keith Protheroe of UK board fame for you. He lives in area for 6 months of the year. Peter May might show up here, he is very good on the area I think.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 am

Dave Erickson wrote:I'm going to be in Cape Town, late January early February. It's been a dozen years since my last visit, and I'm looking for recommendations. What's the latest out of Stellenbosch and the Paarl? Who should I visit? Other areas with reach of Cape Town worth a visit?

Since you've been there before, you may have already done something like this, but I loved the drive down to the Cape of Good Hope, stopping at Groot Constantia on the way down and Simons Town (for the penguins) on the way back.

We didn't wind up doing this, but I've heard great things about Hermanus/Walker Bay, too -- a bit farther drive, but I like the wines I've had from the region and the whale watching is supposed to be spectacular -- if it's the right time of year for it.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 am

Dave, I heard from Keith, PM just sent to you.

Perhaps check this out, some very nice reds a la Sarah Ahmed.

http://www.thewinedetective.co.uk/blog/ ... -in-focus/

Bob.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Bruce K wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:I'm going to be in Cape Town, late January early February. It's been a dozen years since my last visit, and I'm looking for recommendations. What's the latest out of Stellenbosch and the Paarl? Who should I visit? Other areas with reach of Cape Town worth a visit?

Since you've been there before, you may have already done something like this, but I loved the drive down to the Cape of Good Hope, stopping at Groot Constantia on the way down and Simons Town (for the penguins) on the way back.

We didn't wind up doing this, but I've heard great things about Hermanus/Walker Bay, too -- a bit farther drive, but I like the wines I've had from the region and the whale watching is supposed to be spectacular -- if it's the right time of year for it.

Funny, I did exactly that 12 years ago. Groot Constantia is a gorgeous property, and a restaurant in Simons Town provided my introduction to Southern Right sauvignon blanc.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Funny, I did exactly that 12 years ago. Groot Constantia is a gorgeous property, and a restaurant in Simons Town provided my introduction to Southern Right sauvignon blanc.

Great minds... And agreed on all fronts.

I especially like Southern Right's Pinotage -- which is easily the best version of that grape I've ever had. I believe the winery's in the Walker Bay area, which might be incentive to travel there.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:I'm going to be in Cape Town, late January early February. It's been a dozen years since my last visit,

You see tremendous change since your last visit and a huge difference in the quality of wines.

There's much more focus on visitors, upgraded facilities and many many more wineries. OTOH traffic congestion is much worse and a journey that took 45 minutes back then can be double now.

Get the latest Platter and - using your previous experience - narrow down your interests.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Mullineux is producing some lovely wines so should be on your list! If you scroll down Jamie`s list, there are some other wineries of not mentioned.

http://www.wineanorak.com/southafrica/s ... lineux.htm
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Mullineux is producing some lovely wines so should be on your list!

Bob, which ones have you had that you recommend?
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:07 am

I agree with Peter's comments. The region is very different now, much more focused on wine tourism. I was there in 2003 and 2011. It isn't Napa-like, yet, although in some places is heading that way (especially in Franchoek), with some pretty spectacular buildings. Delaire is quite a building, but I didn't love the wines. Tokara is another impressive place, but with much better wines. Their Director's Reserve white is always impressive and good QPR. Chamonix is a nice winery to visit as well - nice wines.

Getting the latest Platter guide and giving it a good read is really useful. The 2013 edition just came out. There are so many wineries it's hard to provide specific recommendations without knowing more about what you are looking for. Vergelegen is a must, I think. I really enjoyed the Walker Bay (Hermanus) area. Great wineries and great scenery. Newton Johnson and Hamilton Russell are two top wineries in that region.
"Tastes are perhaps first and foremost distastes, provoked by the disgust and visceral intolerance ... of the taste of others". Pierre Bourdieu (1984, p. 56)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 am

Peter May wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Mullineux is producing some lovely wines so should be on your list!

Bob, which ones have you had that you recommend?

2008 Mullineux White.
2009 Kloof St Red.
2009 Syrah.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 am