Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Potato and Parsnip Gratin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Potato and Parsnip Gratin

by Jenise » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:07 pm

I'd never considered combining potatoes and parsnips before, except in a mash. Great idea, this! From famed Chef Charlie Palmer.

INGREDIENTS

•2 tablespoons olive oil
•4 medium garlic cloves, minced
•1 cup heavy cream
•1 tablespoon kosher salt
•Freshly ground black pepper
•Freshly ground nutmeg
•1 pound parsnips
•1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
•4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces, plus more for coating the baking dish
•1 cup shredded Emmentaler cheese (about 2 to 3 ounces)
•1 cup fresh breadcrumbs

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Lightly coat a 2-1/2-quart baking dish with butter and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and salt, season with pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, stir to combine, and cook until the cream is simmering but not boiling; remove from the heat and set aside.
Peel, trim, and slice the parsnips crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place in a large mixing bowl. Peel the potatoes, slice crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick rounds, and add to the bowl. Toss the potatoes and parsnips until evenly combined and set aside.
Evenly layer half of the potato-parsnip mixture in the prepared dish. Dot with half of the butter and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Evenly layer the remaining half of the potato-parsnip mixture in the dish and pour the warm cream mixture evenly over the top. Dot with the remaining butter and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Cover the dish with foil and bake until the potatoes and parsnips are tender when pierced with a fork, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Remove the foil and sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the gratin, pressing them down lightly with the back of a spatula (this helps them absorb some of the moisture and keeps them from browning too fast). Return the gratin to the oven uncovered and bake until the top is golden brown, about 10 minutes more. Let rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Potato and Parsnip Gratin

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:35 pm

I'd never considered combining potatoes and parsnips before, except in a mash. Great idea, this!

True, that! This sounds divine. Going to put this on my list. Not much of a parsnips fan, but always willing to find a way to make a veggie a favorite.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:44 pm

This looks good. I'm always on the lookout for ways to use parsnips... and baked with dairy fat suits me fine!
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:53 am

I have used the combo to top shepherd pie. I have also added rutabaga to the combo.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Making this tonight.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

I'll be over at 6:00.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:37 am

Came out beautifully and very tasty.

It took much longer to cook, about 1.5 hours. I did not change the amounts listed in the recipe but I used my 4-qt Le Creuset instead of a smaller casserole. Also, I think my oven is a bit slow, but I tried to compensate for that by bumping it up 10*. Anyway, all's well that ends well, if a little later than expected.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Glad it came out well, but not surprised that it needed more time. I thought the instructions were a bit light myself when they said, "Cover the dish with foil and bake until the potatoes and parsnips are tender when pierced with a fork, about 35 to 40 minutes"--I always expect a potato gratin to need about and hour fifteen.