Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

In a Cave / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 am

bsd
Remembered Rogov writing to me in an IM how he tried to sometimes find the WeekEnd post connection to the Portion of the week..
Noticing last night how the forum was quiet since Thursday morning till this moment thought it apropo we had some silence in the wake of the suffering many endured this week from the storm. Imagine if you thought you were fleeing for your life with your children; a normal person would'nt be busy grabing a bottle of wine. And then you find solace somewhere and happen to find some wine to drink.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

Re: In a Cave / WeeksEnd wine

by Isaac C » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:57 am

Planning on opening the Covenant Landsman Pinot Noir 2011 tonight.
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 am

Hi Harry,

Today Pinot Gris 2011 from Lo Triolet in Aosta for the fish and later Barolo Gramolere 2006 from Giovanni Manzone in Monforte d´Alba.

Best wishes

Birger
no avatar
User

Rafael Joseph

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:50 pm

by Rafael Joseph » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Flechas De Los Andes 2011 Cabernet/Syrah.

Shabbat Shalom

p.s. if you replied to me in the mevushal thread, sorry I haven't been able to respond but I am grateful for the responses and will discuss further after Shabbat.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov!

I hope that neither you nor any of your relatives and friends have suffered any significant damage in the storm. Same with all the NY forumites.

Friday night:

Flam, Rosé 2011: Made from 100% Cabernet Franc grown at the winery's Mata vineyard. Light salmon pink with on the nose fresh ripe cherries, orange peels and orchids. Medium-bodied, this wine features on the palate sour cherries, watermelon and some herbaceous notes, some minerality here with pink bitter grapefruit and a rather short to medium finish with some of the bitterness lingering which I was not so thrilled about. Acidity was ok.

Shabbat lunch:

Dalton, Safsufa, Cabernet Sauvignon 2009: This is the first mevushal wine by Dalton I've ever tasted and I was concerned with the vintage, 3 years for an israeli mevushal wine can be problematic. Well, this wine had many flaws but cooked/stewed fruit flavors is not one of those. 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, aged for 8 months in american oak barrels. Brick red towards garnet in color, light-bodied with on the nose plums and red currants, followed on the palate by a metallic feeling and some notes of red currants, cherries, mushroom gravy (yes...), sour plums with a touch of mint and pepper on a short bitter finish. Didn't like this wine at all. :(

Ella Valley, Vineyard's Choice, Merlot 2004: The color was impressive for an 8 y.o. israeli Merlot! Dark almost impenetrable purple this is a blend of 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon aged for 17 months in french oak barrels. On the nose ripe blackberries, black olives and smoky wood. Full-bodied with on the palate blackberries, black currants, Mediterranean herbs with notes of toasty oak and espresso as well as nice integrated tannins rising on the long, mouth-filling finish. Throwing sediments. A delight. :D

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2010 Psagot Cabernet Franc, just lovely.

2008 Tzora Shoresh, excellent, though I think it could cellar a little longer.

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi Harry,

2007 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon. Very much enjoyed

Quevedo Ruby Port. Everyone enjoyed this Port, even the non wine drinkers at the table. Thanks to everyone on the forum who recommended this.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:38 am

Hiu Harry; also hope Ms. Sandy's visit didn't cause any problems for you.

Friday night: 1998 Joseph Swan Mancini zinfandel. Swan's zins age better than any I've had with the possible exception of Ridge Geyserville. This one was still very tasty at 14 years old.

2009 Sea Horse James (chenin blanc). Finally got to try this, which I had bough in KISrael almost 2 years ago. A very tasty, still fruity, chenin blanc, so tasty that the red wine drinkers tried this out, then switched to it from the zin.

This afternoon, a bar mitzvah kiddush at the synagogue.

2009 Binyamina Reserve cabernet (Galil); ready to drink now even though it had 15 months in barrel; pleasant, chocolatey flavors and texture.

2009 K chardonnay (Australia). First time I had even heard of this label. Did not pass muster; this chardonnay tastes mainly like a weak sauvignon blanc.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:46 am

Fortunate to having power throughout the ordeal, an happy that we were able to emulate Abraham in a timely manner by extending hospitality to Sandy refugees, namely my parents-in-law and my brother-in-law's family.
Wines enjoyed since Thursday night:
Tabor Merlot 2007 - purchases for $8.99 - this was a QPR steal. Enjoyable merlot.
Fri-night: Landsman Pinot Noir - I may have jumped the gun in opening my first bottle a few days after receiving it. That bottle was good, but this one was much better, and ranked with the Four Gates Pinot as my favorite Pinot. Excellent, especially with food.
Sat Lunch - took a wine break and had a bottle of Golden Carolus Tripel.
Sat Night - with some Posh Tomato (thin-crust pizza place in Brooklyn) Southern Margherita, enjoyed (surprisingly) some Lanzur 2011 CS. Hope to run into this wine at a wedding, as I found it better than most of the sub-10 mevushal contenders.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:34 pm

2007 Binyamina Diamond ("Yahalom") - very good but not a great value and no further aging potential.
2010 Covenant Sauvignon Blanc - still quite crisp and went well with our German mustard-dill encrusted Chilean sea bass.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:41 pm

2009 Domaine Ventura Grand Vin Cabernet Sauvignon Took a few days to come around yet when it did .. YEAH!
2010 Kadesh Barnea Negev.. QPR :)
2010 Capcanes Peraj Petita - Dont remember the 2009 being better than this.. Liked!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Harry,

O'Dwyers Creek Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2010 - The nose is full of grass, that is actually amplified on the palate and is complimented by red and white grapefruit. Its aggressiveness might offend some, but not me, though I will concede that it prevents it from being food friendly. And though I believe it is technically dry, it seems to have a texture and a weight that suggests a wee bit of residual sugar. 12.5% AbV and about $14 at Schnapps. Mevushal, but without any discernible negative effect, and sporting a screwcap B-/***

Four Gates Merlot 2007 - When my friend walked in and, having had a glass, commented that he doesn't like this wine for the same reason he generally doesn't favor white wines, the high acidity, I was somewhat surprised, but upon further reflection I understood what it was about the wine that caught him off guard. This Merlot is livened by its acidity, but is far from being astringent. The acidity compliments the oak beautifully, serving as a bulwark against the forces that would turn this wine into a plush, heavy set, tiring wine, but at the same time, it also tames the fruit and body, so that the fruit is restrained and the body is carried on bouncy legs. Having said all that, I'll conclude by saying that I don't consider the wine to exhibit varietal traits, but is true to its terroir, the Santa Cruz mountains. 14.6% AbV, and if my memory serves me right, Benyo was selling it for $27 upon release B+/***

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Last edited by Pinchas L on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:Hi Harry, shavua tov!

Flam, Rosé 2011: Made from 100% Cabernet Franc grown at the winery's Mata vineyard. Light salmon pink with on the nose fresh ripe cherries, orange peels and orchids. Medium-bodied, this wine features on the palate sour cherries, watermelon and some herbaceous notes, some minerality here with pink bitter grapefruit and a rather short to medium finish with some of the bitterness lingering which I was not so thrilled about. Acidity was ok.

GG

Gabriel:
I'm disappointed you didn't like the Flam. That tart pink grapefruit bitterness is precisely what I love about it! As they say, על טעם וריח אין להתווכח...
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:39 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:I'm disappointed you didn't like the Flam. That tart pink grapefruit bitterness is precisely what I love about it! As they say, על טעם וריח אין להתווכח...

Hi Elie, it's not that I don't like it, I just don't love it. But at this price point that's not enough for me. I'm much more into the Castel Rosé or the Ella Valley Rosé ('11) which feature more tropical and stone fruits aromas and flavors. But you're right, there's no accounting for taste (and smell)! 8)

GG
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Writing this while beginning hour three on a line for ghasoline; friday nite enjoyed very much. Golan cab 2010, a powrfull nose,chocolate and plums on the pallette and a nice finish. Also enjoyed yarden syrah 07 which is developing nicely,improved since the last time.h
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:53 pm

As an aside I'm about 10 cars from the station and the generator of the pumps went down so it will be about aother 2 hours
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Enjoyed the Bustan, Merlot, 2003 which was delicious and, while it should be drunk soon, it was very much alive. Also enjoyed the Covenant, Landsman, Pinot Noir, 2011 which was drinking very well (and certainly worthy of joining the existing tiny club of worthy kosher Pinot - Ella Valley, Gvaot & Four Gates). Rounding out the meals were the Carmel Appellation Cabernet Franc 2009, Hagafen, Prix, Late Harvest Chardonnay, 2006 (all reports of its early demise were exaggerated) and Yaffo, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009 (I enjoyed the Carignan more, but this was a really solid effort and Yaffo is certainly a winery deserving of your attention - hopefully it will be imported soon).
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Jeff Adler

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm

by Jeff Adler » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:57 pm

On my way back from Las Vegas where I was helping my father who is recuperating from surgery. Took the opportunity to stop by Trader Joe's to sample the Terrenal wines. Opened the 2010 tempranillo and 2012 Malbec over the weekend. I enjoyed the former more than the latter but both were worth the $4.99 investment :-)

Cheers

Jeff
no avatar
User

Philip Aron

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 am

by Philip Aron » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:47 am

Hi Harry,

Pelter Trio 2010, a blend of Cab Sauv, Merlot and Cab franc.Very delicious.

Villa Antinori, 2007, Super Tuscan, blend of Sangiovese and Cab Sauv, and very nice it is.

Hope that your sufferings from Sandy will soon be over and that you will be soon enjoying the everyday comforts of times gone by.

Philip.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Indeed I hope all of you on the east coast are warm and safe.

I enjoyed some lovely Mint, Cinnamon, and date infused Lamb Meatballs along with a lovely bottle of 2005 Ella Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Vineyard's Choice.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/11/07 ... meatballs/

Safe and best wishes to all!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 pm

2009 Yiron A-/***

2009 Peraj Petita A-/***

2011 Binyamina Reserve Unoaked Chardonnay B+/** I really enjoyed this wine. Lots of bright citrus, tropical fruit, and green apple without being overwhelming. Very pleasant and crisp. MUCH better than the 2010. I had it two months ago at the tasting and found the fruit too overwhelming, but it's come into balance now.

Porto Quedo Ruby Port: C+/** I know everyone here loved it but it's just WAY too sweet for my palate. Think cherry liqueur mixed with blackberry syrup and a crap-load of sugar. It improved after 4 hours in the glass but not my thing. I'll retaste the open bottle this coming shabbos and see how it's doing. DISCLAIMER: I'm not a sweet-red-wine lover to begin with (with the exception of the incredible Kinor Dovid) so take my TN with a big grain of salt.
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:25 am

Dalton Petite Sirah 2010- delicious

Macallan 18- as usual sweet and smooth

Dalton Anna-even though it was opened for a month, still tasted very good.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Sito Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2011
GHW Yarden Chardonnay Odem Organic 2008 - excellent and not oaky.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:14 am

Hey Zvi!

Have any info on this Sito SB? I have not heard of that one? Is this a new wine that is out there? Maybe you can post a picture of the back label?

Thanks!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
Next