The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burgs (wht, red, bubbly, Gamay), CalCab, Loire pink

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Burgs (wht, red, bubbly, Gamay), CalCab, Loire pink

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:37 pm

With power back and Betsy in kitchen, an Asian accented duck breast (breast is steamed, then fried, with a dusting on a Sichuan pepper rub and scllions and peppers), bok choy, and rice with nori. Wine was the 2009 Lafouge “Climat du Val” Auxey-Duresses 1er . Riper than usual (as one would guess from vintage), fleshy black cherry fruit, earth, a little meat. Very tasty if not classically styled. B+

Saturday was lemon sole, brown rice, Indian carrots, and an arugula/walnut/pear salad, wine was the 2009 P-Y Colin-Morey “La Chateniere” St. Aubin 1er. Rich, Bosc pear and hazelnut, some wood but not intrusive. B+/B

Sunday we went to dinner at some neighbors (who were hosting a mutual friend Sandy refugee from Riverdale). It was a bit of a pork tenderloin competition - Betsy’s medallions with lemon and capers vs. the host’s grilled with a Southwestern rub. There was also salad, egg noodles, roast vegetables, and wine:

NV Clotilde Davenne Cremant de Bourgogne Extra Brut
Dry, crispy, dinner rolls and Granny smith. Very good. B+

2009 Prebende Beaujolais
Fresh strawberry fruit, some grass/herb notes, good and a good match with the pork. B

2006 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon
Not really big or overblown (though maybe a bit big for the pork), cassis and a bit of cocoa, round, fleshy. B-

Monday we both worked late. I did a quick sautee of squash, Betsy did some kale, and we ordered a pizza (eggplant, mushroom). Wine was the oh so dependable 2011 Baudry Chinon rose. Hey, it’s not just for summer picnics! Clean red fruits, minerally, earth, long, B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.