Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bay Leaf Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Bay Leaf Question

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:31 am

No, I don't mean Bayleaf's Irish Cream! I mean those pesky leaves you have to hunt for to try and take them out so they don't end up on someone's plate.

I have removed the main leaf rib and powdered the leaves in an old Braun coffee mill repurposed to use exclusively for spices (grinding spices in the same mill you use for coffee can result in interesting but not always good tasting coffee). If the leaves are quite dry (only those harvesting and drying their own need worry about this as store bought are always tinder dry) the powder is fairly fine and no removal chores before service is the pay off.

Do others ever do this, or are you all leaf-fisher outers?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Bay Leaf Question

by Carl Eppig » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:58 am

I used to get powdered bay leaves in small quantites from Penseys', but alas they no longer provide it. Am currenty looking for another reputable source. I believe that a quarter teaspoon of fresh powdered bay does more for a dish that a whole one.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:28 pm

I like the whole leaves because they stay potent longer than the powdered version.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Jeff, I agree that any spice will stay fresher in large form and I'm not suggesting one keep powdered bay on hand, just that powdering it yourself is no big effort and gets excellent results, so I wonder why I rarely see any recipes doing anything but telling you to just chuck the whole leaves in and go fishing later.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Jeff, I agree that any spice will stay fresher in large form and I'm not suggesting one keep powdered bay on hand, just that powdering it yourself is no big effort and gets excellent results, so I wonder why I rarely see any recipes doing anything but telling you to just chuck the whole leaves in and go fishing later.

Your point is well-taken. Perhaps it is simply the case that electric spice grinders are still kinda new-fangled for recipe writers? (I see plenty of recipes call for a food processor and a few that call for an immersion blender but the rest of them call only for very traditional tooling.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Since a recipe usually calls for one or two at the most, It is simple to fish them out. You can tie them with a string and leave a short piece hanging out of the pot, or put it in cheese cloth. I have a bay leaf tree, so I just go out and pluck what I need. I also have a few in a glass jar that I dried for those wet and muddy days.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm a convert to fresh bay leaves. Never considered it a problem to fish out a leaf!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:05 pm

two words: bouquet garni :mrgreen:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 am

Jenise wrote:I'm a convert to fresh bay leaves. Never considered it a problem to fish out a leaf!

Yeah, but the amount of flavour you get is far more from freshly powdered than from chucking any number of whole leaves in there...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:10 pm

You're not wrong about that, in dry ground vs. dry whole, but fresh has a unique and special flavor that I love. And I have an endless supply from my own tree.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:11 pm

No question that is the way to go, but for those of us that are lacking a laurel bush...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:No question that is the way to go, but for those of us that are lacking a laurel bush...

Not everyone likes fresh, though! David N., for instance, prefers dried.

In your case, you could always "borrow" a few from the Gav bush. That spindly thing in their driveway?--that's bay laurel. Rob must be caring for it though, as I noticed last month that it's not nearly as spindly as it has been in the past. Someone who cares has been pruning it right.