The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Another vintage, another knockout Alzinger Steinertal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Another vintage, another knockout Alzinger Steinertal

by Salil » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:20 am

Does dry Riesling get much better than the 2011 Alzinger Riesling Smaragd Steinertal I opened with dinner last night? A thrilling, pure, impeccably balanced wine; amazingly fragrant with pale fresh fruit, greener herbal elements and vivid stony and saline mineral elements coming together harmoniously. There's remarkable presence and persistence to the flavours, yet a delicate touch and lightness - almost weightlessness - that I find all too rarely. Absolutely thrilling wine, among the very best Rieslings I've had.
no avatar
User

Rainer from CH

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: Another vintage, another knockout Alzinger Steinertal

by Rainer from CH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Salil wrote:Does dry Riesling get much better than the 2011 Alzinger Riesling Smaragd Steinertal I opened with dinner last night? A thrilling, pure, impeccably balanced wine; amazingly fragrant with pale fresh fruit, greener herbal elements and vivid stony and saline mineral elements coming together harmoniously. There's remarkable presence and persistence to the flavours, yet a delicate touch and lightness - almost weightlessness - that I find all too rarely. Absolutely thrilling wine, among the very best Rieslings I've had.

Sounds like the 2011 Tegernseerhof Riesling Smaragd Steinertal that I've recently tasted :wink:
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Steinertal is holy ground for Riesling fans. :)

Not a producer we see here, unfortunately. But it sounds as if they have some amazing parcels of land, between Steinertal, Hohereck and some other great vineyards in the Wachau. (Would have loved to have a bottle of that for contrast at the Steinertal dinner I attended last year - all Steinertal Riesling and GV from FX Pichler and Alzinger. One of the most amazing lineups of wine I've ever sat down and enjoyed in my life.)
no avatar
User

Rainer from CH

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:35 pm

by Rainer from CH » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Salil wrote:Steinertal is holy ground for Riesling fans. :)

I couldn't agree more.
And Höhereck seems to be one of the places to be for old Grüner Veltliner vines. The 2010 Tegernseerhof Grüner Veltliner Smaragd Höhereck is by far the best GV I know.