Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

All Good / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:24 am

bsd
Some people seem to always have about what to complain. Some people say I can't complain;but what they mean is they won't because no one is really interested in listening.And some say it to try and convince themselves by saying it.And there are those rare individuals who truly live their lives; with all its ups and downs and challenges with a basic modus operandi....every moment is a gift.
Have a good one; h
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

Re: All Good / WeeksEnd wine

by YoelA » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Tonight's plan: 2004 Cru Chualar Canyon (Monterey County) pinot noir and 2007 J.W. Schafer Hochheimer Kirchenstuck spatlese troken.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Going to try the 2011 Bravdo Chard
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Harry,

Good one.

Tonight Barbaresco "Serracapelli" 2001, Poderi Elia. 3L No worries friends are arriving. :wink:

St. Martin's Day so we have duck.

Ciao
Birger
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Harry J wrote:bsd
Some people seem to always have about what to complain. Some people say I can't complain;but what they mean is they won't because no one is really interested in listening.And some say it to try and convince themselves by saying it.And there are those rare individuals who truly live their lives; with all its ups and downs and challenges with a basic modus operandi....every moment is a gift.
Have a good one; h

Hi Harry! Shavua tov! When I turned off my PC before shabbat I checked first as always whether you had already posted the weeksend wine thread. You hadn't. That was my only complaint. So what a relief to see it's here now! 8) I was a bit worried you might still be waiting in that line for gas... :lol:

Friday night:

Hagafen, Cabernet Sauvignon 2003: The first bottle a few weeks ago was mature but fine. This one was DOA :cry: ...

Tishbi, Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2007: Keep improving, showing elegance with soft, almost integrated tannins and more chocolate on the finish.

Barkan, Reserve Merlot 2008: I was concerned with this bottle (not mine) as it was shmitta-otzar bet din and one can't waste or dump it. It was ok but had some clear flaws so I used an old and well-known recipe to hide those flaws from my palate and added some skhug (a yemenite hot sauce made from fresh hot peppers seasoned with coriander, garlic and various spices.) to my meatballs and it worked, we finished the entire bottle quickly enough.

To end the meal, some Boukha Bokobsa (Tunisian figs white spirit) and German absinthe at 69% Abv....

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Appellation, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: Very dark garnet toward purple, medium to full-bodied (leaning to the full) with on the nose black currants, black cherries and vanilla, followed on the palate by ripe black currants, blackberries, cherries and cranberries, good acidity with notes of vanilla, dark chocolate and sweet wood rising with mouth-coating, almost chewy tannins on the long finish. Great QPR here at 50 shekel ($ 13) and plenty of life ahead for this well-done wine.

An excellent week to all,

GG
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night - Bravdo Shiraz 2007.
Shabbat lunch - Recanati Reserve Cabernet Franc 2010 - interesting smell of green grass and very fruity (plums, berries).
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Good drinking this Shabbat
Fri Night: Psagot Edom 2009
Sat Lunch: Four Gates Merlot 2007, with a bottle of Beck's Oktoberfest
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:22 pm

2011 Recanati Yasmin Red
2009 Alexander Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Jefferson' Reserve Bourbon :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Saslove Marriage 2010-delicious

Teperberg Terra Sauvignon Blanc 2011- superb with the fish we had

Dalton Anna NV- great for dessert

Good week to all.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:58 am

Hi. Firstly I feel excited to say my daughter got engaged tonite to a very special young man. Wine wise we opened bazelet hagolan merlot 2010 that was powerfull but very closed. Oh and this past weekend enjoyed the galil mt viogner 2011. H
Last edited by Harry J on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:17 am

Harry! Mazel tov!!! May the bride and groom grow in torah and good deeds! Many happy occasions!

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:49 am

A big Mazal Tov Harry! :D I wish lots of happiness and blessings to the young couple and lots of nachas to you!

All the best,

GG
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 am

Harry Mazal Tov
Its a real nice feeling and worth opening some good stuff.

Best
Stephen
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Mazal Tov Harry - great news!

Plans changed over the weekend and it ended up being just the family, so we enjoyed a bottle of Shirah, Counter Punch, 2010 that was very nice. The wine is certainly coming into its own, developing nicely and should continue to improve over the next year or two.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:18 pm

BS"D

Mazal Tov Harry,

Glad the other family knows wine too... Should be a good Shidduch for the Parents as well for Gatherings with an extra smile in a glss to shareL'Chaims with :):):):)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Mazel Tov, Harry! How old are each, does he learn and where, and if not, what does he do, when and where is the chasana, where will they be living, etc. I have a couple of boys and 1 girl coming up to or already in the parsha, so these things interest me now, when they were just a useless jumble of information before, that only interested the females in the family.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Mazal tov! I had the Tzuba Cabernet 2007, it was very good.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Harry,

Joining the chorus of well-wishers, I'm extending my best wishes to you and your family.

A last minute change of plans had me eating out this weekend, and no wine was served.

Mazal Tov,
-> Pinchas
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Pinchas - I am so sorry for you! I have lived that a few times and it is truly not a shabbos - in my opinion. This week, I opened a bottle of the 2006 Yatir red Blend, as a service to the wine world, and yeah, it is not that fun. I also, tasted the 2007 Hagafen Cabernet Franc, and I have good news - the wine has awoken! I also enjoyed a great steak - thanks to Isaac and his great recipe:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/11/12 ... e-sabbath/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

by Elchonon Hellinger » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:08 pm

mazal tov :)

spanish wine for me on shabbat, awating a bottle of kinor david wine to try, must see if his wine can match the port at all.

Sadly 1 bottle of port broke in my brother suitcase, must educate him on wine transport, waste of $$ but deff a worse waste of delicious port.

Pinchas, I always nring wine with me when I eat out, I suspect its the only reason I get invited lol.. well besides elie, II drink his wine
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:48 pm

2011 Galil Mountain Reserve: B-/** A simple rose with the expected strawberrry and rose petal nose. The 13% alcohol come through with a hot streak. OK but nothing special.

2011 Covenant Landsman Pinot Noir: A-/** Covenant generally makes big, exuberant new-world wines, which I love. Hence, I was pleasantly surprised by the old-world style of this Pinot. Very clean and clear pinot notes, with lots of earthy and animal notes, with the oak coming through very subtly. Close your eyes and imagine yourself on a farm after it rains. A very good wine that fills a hole in the kosher market.

2010 Yatir Sauvignon Blanc: B+ to A-/** Very pleasant, bright fruit with a long citrussy finish.

Now for a mea culpa:

Porto Quedo Ruby Port B/** Last week I was very negative on this port, but after a week in a bottle with lots of air, and then lots more time in the glass, this port began to lose its cough-syrup quality and was pretty decent, with intense sweet cherry, rapsberry, and blackberry. Still a bit too sweet for my taste but after chilling slightly, I enjoyed it with some sharp goat cheeses.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:57 pm

David Raccah wrote:Pinchas - I am so sorry for you! I have lived that a few times and it is truly not a shabbos - in my opinion. This week, I opened a bottle of the 2006 Yatir red Blend, as a service to the wine world, and yeah, it is not that fun. I also, tasted the 2007 Hagafen Cabernet Franc, and I have good news - the wine has awoken! I also enjoyed a great steak - thanks to Isaac and his great recipe:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/11/12 ... e-sabbath/

David

Thank you David! When Rogov posted his retasting notes I was really stumped as my experience was so different from his--it was like he was describing an entirely different wine! My experience was just like yours--a disharmonious cacophony of flavors running wild in different directions with a distinctly unpleasant finish--more stale olive oil with rancid nuts than just olive bitterness, which I typically enjoy. My only disagreement is that I would rate it a C at best--certainly not B to B+, which seems to be a rather excessive score for a wine you roundly pan.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Harry J wrote:Hi. Firstly I feel excited to say my daughter got engaged tonite to a very special young man. Wine wise we opened bazelet hagolan merlot 2010 that was powerfull but very closed. Oh and this past weekend enjoyed the galil mt viogner 2011. H

Mazal tov Harry! May it be a binyan adei ad!
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Mazel Tov! We are enjoying a Yatir Cab, Shiraz Merlot 2004 tonight. Too many others during the storm weeks to record!
Next