Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

TN Kinor david Shir hamaalot reserve city of david cab 09

by Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:08 am

Its been a while since Kinor David (KD) made it here, as you all know, mine and gg, elie's love for this winery is primarily the INCREDIBLE port they make, a 5 year aged port and now im told a 10 year!

He told my brother he has new barrels and I will follow up on this (keep in mind, my brother is a wine drinker in training by being my brother and knowing elie lol)

My brother brought back 3 bottles of 5 year port, sadly one broke (we shall not mourn this, but in short wine lost due to not fully packaged is the TSA's fault)

The other 2 bottles await Elie, along with 2 bottles of Ventura CF from Gab's shop.

So what did I score ? for a guy going to Israel tomorrow, I did well. David Edri gave us a bottle of wine, as you may recall I took the wrong bottles last time the 2006 vintage.

At the top - the 2009 shir haamalot reserve titled city of david ? 2009, its 90% cab sav and 10% petit vardot. Aged 24 months in french oak barrels, the 24 months is a topic of debate.

Opening the bottle, at last check Elie sai the cork was no good, it seems like they have done better on the cork but it needs improvement.

The wine has a very fruity aroma, and this is to be expected and appreciated.

I cannot decipher a strong oak taste / smell, but im disturbed at the low alcohol level (says 12.5) in comparison to a 2 year barrel sit, shouldent it be like 15%?

The wine sips well, its smooth.. its fruity.. its deff young.. I dont see the barrel stay as having contributed much? Edri however told my brother they just invested in better barrels, of course my non wine fluent brother cracked after 2 minutes of my cross examination surrendering to "hey the wine tasted good!"

The bottle aroma 30% left has strong cherry and raspberry flavors... it does seem to be strong

I use my vinturi now, aroma gets stronger but still balanced. It really is a smooth wine.. its not a typical cab sav.. I wonder if it will age well.

I will talk to Edri soon, I urge you all to try it, if you want, i'll leave bottles for you at gab's store
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Re: TN Kinor david Shir hamaalot reserve city of david cab 09

by Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:33 am

the sweetness, the ripe fruit... I think the wine is increbile
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:48 am

Elchonon Hellinger wrote:I cannot decipher a strong oak taste / smell, but im disturbed at the low alcohol level (says 12.5) in comparison to a 2 year barrel sit, shouldent it be like 15%?

Abv has nothing to do with the time a wine spent in oak. It's a result of the fruit's ripeness and since Israel is blessed with lots of sunlight grapes attain high ripeness at earlier stage than in cooler regions such as Bordeaux and thus high sugar level which result in high alcohol in the wine. There are of course other factors related to the fermentation process and the yeast being used but the barrels have nothing to do with that.
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:53 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Elchonon Hellinger wrote:I cannot decipher a strong oak taste / smell, but im disturbed at the low alcohol level (says 12.5) in comparison to a 2 year barrel sit, shouldent it be like 15%?

Abv has nothing to do with the time a wine spent in oak. It's a result of the fruit's ripeness and since Israel is blessed with lots of sunlight grapes attain high ripeness at earlier stage than in cooler regions such as Bordeaux and thus high sugar level which result in high alcohol in the wine.

aha! praise the lord and pass the wine!
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:57 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:

Abv has nothing to do with the time a wine spent in oak. It's a result of the fruit's ripeness and since Israel is blessed with lots of sunlight grapes attain high ripeness at earlier stage than in cooler regions such as Bordeaux and thus high sugar level which result in high alcohol in the wine. There are of course other factors related to the fermentation process and the yeast being used but the barrels have nothing to do with that.

This is very sweet / aromatic for a cab sav...
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:33 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:

Gabriel:
Higher ABV/fuller-bodied wines can generally handle more time in oak. That's a gross generalization but it is the connection between ABV and barrel-time.
A 12.5% ABV cab is de regeur for the old world but rather low for Israel. I wonder if he's picking early or diluting...
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:15 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:
Gabriel Geller wrote:

Gabriel:
Higher ABV/fuller-bodied wines can generally handle more time in oak. That's a gross generalization but it is the connection between ABV and barrel-time.
A 12.5% ABV cab is de regeur for the old world but rather low for Israel. I wonder if he's picking early or diluting...

You're correct Elie but what I meant is that the time a wine spends in a barrel is not what increases nor decreases the Abv. I don't know whether Edri buys his grapes or if he owns his own vineyards but either ways I found his dry wines to be way overriped. Having said that, I've tasted only those from the 2006 vintage so I've no idea about his most recent wines.
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Reviewing wine isnt my forte, my true talent lies in my ability to drink it.

Like you GG, I had the 2006 with elie that was not the greatest, but the 2009 is VERY good, and the cork is much better, if I can stop by him in k4 on wednesday on my way to jerusalem, i'll get a few bottles and we'll drink in the shop.