The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Dessert Sauternes...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Dessert Sauternes...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:21 pm

We finished off our Syrah tasting w/ two dessert wines:
1. Ch.LesJustices AC: Sauternes (13%) ChristianMedeville/Preignac 1983: Med.gold w/ some browning; very strong botrytis/peachy/apricotty classiv old Sauternes/very complex slight earthy bit volatile/EA nose; slightly sweet soft intense peachy/apricotty/botrytis slight earthy/butterscotchy/creme brulee lovely old Sauternes/complex flavor; very long complex/old Sauternes peachy/apricotty/botrytis slightly sweet finish; a really lovely example of a fully-mature Sauternes. $7.00/hlf
2. KentRasmussenWnry LateHrvst NapaVlly SauvBlanc (SaH: 39.9%; RS: 18%; 13%) 1992: Dark gold rather browning color; slight oxidized/nutty very intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty/canned peach syrup slight celery/herbal/earthy light toasty/oak slight volatile complex nose; fairly tart very sweet intense botrytis/peach syrup/apricotty bit earthy/herbal/celery complex/syrupy flavor; very long very sweet intense botrytis/peach syrup/apricotty slight earthy/butterscotch pudding some complex finish; loads of very intense botrytis and quite sweet; very interesting Calif Sauterne that will go another 10 yrs at least.
$12.00/hlf
1. LesJustices: In its youth, this was a profoundly unthrilling example of Sauternes. But I bought a bunch at a retailers closeout, because of the price. I stumbled across this last half btl in an overlooked box in my garage. It was stored the last 20 yrs in an uncontrolled temperature environment, pretty hot in the Summer, standing upright. The wine should have been totally dead & gone. It was not. It was a very nice example of a fully-mature old Sauternes, starting to dry out a bit, but still delivering lots of pleasure. Went well w/ the whiskey/mascarpone Oreos.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Two Dessert Sauternes...(short/boring)

by Tom Troiano » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 am

Is whiskey/mascarpone Oreos one item or three? If one we'll need the recipe!
Tom T.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Huh?????

by TomHill » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:02 am

Tom Troiano wrote:Is whiskey/mascarpone Oreos one item or three? If one we'll need the recipe!

What be this thing you call a recipe, Tom???

The previous week I'd made a whiskey/eggnog pound cake w/ a whiskey/mascarpone frosting. Had a bunch of the
frosting leftover. So bought some freezer-sugar cookies tubes, baked up the cookies, and used the leftover
frosting between 2 cookies to make me some Oreos.
The frosting was a basic cream cheese frosting but using mascarpone instead of cream cheese (I hate the flavor/texture
of the carageenan in the Kraft stuff). Powdered sugar as usual, as much needed to get the texture right. And a bit of whiskey
for flavor. A bit of Crema instead of butter. Recipe?? Don't got one. I'm a LosAlamos guy...just make stuff up.
Tom