The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2010 Clos Du Val Primitivo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

2010 Clos Du Val Primitivo

by Brian K Miller » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:10 pm

A lovely wine-a new grape for Clos Du Val is my understanding. Plenty of expected briary pepper and berry fruit, but with that core of savory, tangy acidity I find characteristic of Clos Du Val. I love how they maintain their house style across vintages and varietals! Will go quite well with a barbecue.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 2010 Clos Du Val Primitivo

by Jenise » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 pm

I would buy that! Is it an estate vineyard do you know? I'm not sure I've seen primitivo from a US producer before, though I may have read of some planting a in Lodi.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Primitivo is Zinfandel. Why are they labelling it as Primitivo, though?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:Primitivo is Zinfandel. Why are they labelling it as Primitivo, though?

I was going to write the same thing. Don't understand the labeling unless they think for some reason it will sell better under that name. Odd :?:
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Hendry has been selling a Primitivo for years. The nurseries that I talk to distinguish between the primitivo clones and the Zinfandel clones and I understand from what I have read that the primitivo clusters are not as tight and may have better rot resistance. I would like to get about 5 vines to see how they would do on the east coast as it may be viable here where zin is not.

I think I read before that the California label laws allow the primitivo clones to be labeled either zin or primitivo but the zin clones can only be labeled as zin. Most choose to label it as zin as primitivo does not sell as well.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Jancis's new book states absolutely that the two varieties are identical. The rest is marketing, I suppose. I thought they used to grow a good, elegant Zinfandel, years ago?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Not sure, Oliver, about the Zinfandel.

Primitivo is a marketing term. I'm cool with that. :mrgreen:

I actually love the Napa Valley "zins" that I have tried. They tend toward the lighter, "claret" style.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 pm

Jenise wrote:I would buy that! Is it an estate vineyard do you know? I'm not sure I've seen primitivo from a US producer before, though I may have read of some planting a in Lodi.

Not sure. It is labeled Napa Valley, so....

I will check and find out.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:Jancis's new book states absolutely that the two varieties are identical. The rest is marketing, I suppose. I thought they used to grow a good, elegant Zinfandel, years ago?

I'm not so sure of that, Oliver. I recall a conversation with one Napa grower who had both Primitivo and Zin planted and was quite clear on the differences that he saw. There can be different clones that, though genetically "identical" (a probabilistic assignment that has an associated confidence level, usually 90-99%), have different characteristics such as berry size, etc. The classic example would be Syrah and Serine in the N Rhone.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:35 pm

To the best of my knowledge there are Primitivo clones imported from Italy being grown in California that can be distinguished from Zin by taste if not from genes. I think we all know how important clone selection is for certain other grapes, and if it so the clones must produce wines that taste differenty.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Oliver McCrum wrote:Jancis's new book states absolutely that the two varieties are identical. The rest is marketing, I suppose. I thought they used to grow a good, elegant Zinfandel, years ago?

I'm not so sure of that, Oliver. I recall a conversation with one Napa grower who had both Primitivo and Zin planted and was quite clear on the differences that he saw. There can be different clones that, though genetically "identical" (a probabilistic assignment that has an associated confidence level, usually 90-99%), have different characteristics such as berry size, etc. The classic example would be Syrah and Serine in the N Rhone.

Mark Lipton

Clonal differences can be huge, obviously, but different clones of a given variety are still the same variety. I have no claim to expertise here, I'm reporting what Jancis says in her new tome. (Maybe I should have said 'the same,' rather than 'identical.')
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Don't know anything about the genetics, but Primitivo from Puglia is what Italians call "spargolo" (the berries in the bunch are loose and well-separated one from the other; i.e. less rot in the vineyard and good for drying: amarone style). Also, Primitvo grapes ripen fairly evenly within the bunch, and also from vine to vine. California Zinfandel (either because of the climate or other variations beyond my knowledge) often has bigger, more tightly clustered berries, pronounced, uneven ripening within bunches, and is more susceptible to rot.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:34 am

What Marco said is true; the looser clusters, more even ripening, and, every bit as important, the lack of the tendency to raisin that Zin is so famous for, all make the Primitivo clones distinctive. Yet, genetically, it's true; they're the same critter.
George Hendry has Zin and Primitivo planted side by side, and I tasted with him, six years ago, the two varieties, vinified the same way. The Primitivo, to me, was a better wine. The interesting issue that came up was, as George put it: "It doesn't taste like Zinfandel." My interpretation was that the lack of raisining, and the evenness of ripening made the wine completely different.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:41 pm

The only reason we are having this discussion is that this variety can be labelled either way; I believe someone is importing Primitivo from Puglia labelled Zinfandel.

How many other varieties would show as much difference between different clones or selections grown in the same place, I wonder?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Oliver; though I'm not sure how reliable it was, George Hendry told me that Primitivo may not be labelled as Zinfandel, and vice versa.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:40 pm

I misled you; Jancis reports that it used to be legal, then in '85 the BATF prohibited it due to 'lack of evidence of synonymy,' then the Europeans legalised it, currently 'no agreement has been reached.'

I do recall that some CA producers were up in arms about it, which I find amusing given the way the US wine industry has historically treated European historic names, such as Champagne. Now the shoe's on the other foot.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines