The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: MerkinVnyds Shinola NewMexico RW '11..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: MerkinVnyds Shinola NewMexico RW '11..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Tried this last night after the Mazzoni:
1. MerkinVnyds Shinola NewMexico RW LunaCnty (13.5%; www.Caduceus.Org; 25% Sangiovese/Refosco/Primitivo/Dolcetto: LunaRosaVnyd/Deming) MJ Keenan/Jerome/AZ 2011: Med.dark color; rather earthy/loamy/dusty bit vegetal/sage/sagebrush/chamisa rather plummy/boysenberry somewhat clunky/rustic/coarse bit toasty/oak nose; soft/flat/fat fairly strong chamisa/sagebrush/pungent/herbal/vegetal rather coarse/rustic/soupy some plummy/boysenberry flavor w/ modest tannins; med.short vegetal/sage/sagebrush/chamisa coarse/earthy/loamy/dusty light plummy/boysenberry finish w/ light tannins; a rather unusual & somewhat interesting but lacks acid & is rather coarse/rustic on the palate. $22.00 (AV)
This was a wine they served at the AirizonaStronghold tasting the night before at ArroyoVino. The one white and two leftover reds I tried were somewhat better...but didn't particularly impress me. Because of the cepage, I wanted to try this one.
Made in Jerome. Arizona; the grapes come from Paola d'Andrea's LunaRosa vnyd over in Deming, NM. In the MimbresVlly, in a high-desert environment; it's pretty hot for growing grapes there and I generally find the reds from this vnyd somewhat on the coarse/soupy side, low in acid. This Merkin Shinola (brings a grin to my face in recalling a Kansas expression of contempt) was maybe the best LunaRosa red I've ever had. The red wines from this vnyd seem to usually show a distinct signature of sagebrush & chamisa. It's the terroir thing. Like eucalyptus, chamisa and sagebrush spew into the air various oils that must settle on Paola's grapes; giving them this signature character that I've found in no other wines.
I've not been able to find out the origins of Paola's Refosco...he won't respond to my e-mails requestion clarification. If his Refosco came from FPS/Davis; it is most assuredly Mondeuse and not Refosco. If it is Refosco he carried back from Friuli, it could very well be true Refosco dal PeduncolaRosso. VivacWnry in Dixon make a pure Refosco from Paola's grapes that I think is rather better than this Shinola. But the packaging is not as up-scale.
Tom