Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Re: Generations / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:18 pm

David-"insanely epic event" what are you referring to ?
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:14 am

Gabriel: The Pacific Star blend was bought at the winery about two years ago. Tasting it suggested that a couple of years additional aging would be beneficial, and that has proven to be the case. The wine was both tasty and smooth.

This winery also made a charbono, the first wine from that grape that i had tasted that actually was drinkable (in fact, it was rather nice). Don't know what techniques were used in either the vineyard or the winemaking to achieve that result, however.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:43 am

David Raccah wrote:Had the wine again last night - more on the insanely epic event soon, but the Landsman Pinot is not a wine that is long for this earth. Maybe two or three years at most, in my humble opinion. Very lovely.

David

I have to agree with David here. The Landsman pinot is fully ready to drink now--totally not styled for aging. I'm sure it'll hold up fine for a year or two--maybe three, but it's not something you want to cellar. Having said that, it's damn good wine. Very clean, focused flavors.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:26 am

I started the weekend early last Thursday with a bottle of Shira's amazing 2010 Coalition (A/***). This incredibly complex wine is a masterpiece in the art of blending, created from a wacky blend of 45% Touriga Nacional, 30% Syrah, and 25% petite verdot. Before getting to the wine, I'd be remiss not to comment on the delightful, witty bottle, which is a pleasurable experience in its own right. The wine is a very deep, inky purple-black, with medium to full body. It opens with a powerful nose oddly reminiscent of a top-notch French Bordeaux, with intense garrigue, and a pleasant barnyard funk, behind that blackberries, eucalyptus, a hit of leather, and strong floral notes--especially violets. The mouth explodes with a symphony of very diverse flavors but they're all held together beautifully by a lively acidity and firm, fully-extracted but round tannins. Some of the prominent notes include chocolate, leather, blackberries, raspberry, blueberry, lemon zest, mediterranean herbs, mint, eucalyptus, rosemary, a touch of black licorice, and crazy minerality. A super-long earthy, dirty, almost gravelly--but in a good way--finish with more chocolate, cigar smoke, earl grey tea, and graphite. This is a wine that keeps on giving, with layer after layer of complexity as it opens in your glass. Fascinating!

I couldn't beat that over shabos...

Friday night I made kiddush on 2009 Capcanes Peraj Petita (A-/***), which is always enjoyable.

Followed with a 2010 Ella Valley Chardonnay (B/**). I've had this wine before and it showed better. I'm not sure if it's bottle variation or the wine is declining. Very decent chardonnay but nothing outstanding.

Shabbos day I finished the Petita and enjoyed a nice Chimay Grande Reserve with chili cholent.

Sunday I enjoyed a 2010 Dalton "D" Zinfandel (B to B+/**). A little brother to the incredible Dalton Zinfandel, the flavor profile is similar but far less intense. Nice fruitiness with a hint of the trademark herbal side--the mint and eucalyptus that's so dominant in the higher-line Zin.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:34 am

A pair of Carmel Kayoumi 2008 - Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz, and Dalton Shiraz 2011.
no avatar
User

Jeff Morgan

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:11 pm

by Jeff Morgan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
gaston k wrote:Another bottle of Landsman Pinot Noir. I keep on drinking it, and it's pairing well with a variety of Shabbat foods.

Hi Gaston, with so few bottles available and that even only to club members, wouldn't it be better to let some sit in the cellar for 3-5 years and see how it ages? I mean 2011 for a PN seems soooo young to me!

Hi Gaston et al......Jeff Morgan from Covenant Winery, here.....So sorry we weren't able to hook up when you were in SF; let's keep trying should you be out here again..... Meanwhile, very glad you're enjoying the Pinot. My impression re: ageability for that wine is this: It seems to show really well right out of the bottle. But I've noticed that if I decant it for 45 minutes to an hour, it develops more richness. Leads me to think that a little more time in the bottle might be worth waiting for. How much time? I don't know, since it's the first vintage. The tannins are very soft, so I don't think it's a long-term ager. Maybe 3 to 5 years for best results. That said, I too, have gone thru much of my own little stash.....So much for willpower! JM
no avatar
User

Jeff Morgan

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:11 pm

by Jeff Morgan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:
David Raccah wrote:Had the wine again last night - more on the insanely epic event soon, but the Landsman Pinot is not a wine that is long for this earth. Maybe two or three years at most, in my humble opinion. Very lovely.

David

I have to agree with David here. The Landsman pinot is fully ready to drink now--totally not styled for aging. I'm sure it'll hold up fine for a year or two--maybe three, but it's not something you want to cellar. Having said that, it's damn good wine. Very clean, focused flavors.

Am enjoying this dialogue...Seems like we are all on the same page more or less.....Honored to know our wine is being enjoyed by folks with discerning palates who think about these things! Jeff M.....
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Great to see Jeff lurking here again - the more the merrier. Indeed a lovely Pinot and wait till you all get the Syrah or Zin next - the Syrah is tasting LOVELY! Cannot comment that well on the Zin (as it was a long time since I tasted it in barrel). Looking forward to hear what you all think on both releases in the future.

Congrats to the Covenant team and great to have you here every so often!

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
Previous