New Gamla Line "Gamla HaShmura"

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

New Gamla Line "Gamla HaShmura"

Postby Josh Patt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 am

Just got mail from the GHW club.
They are introducing four new wines in a sub-series of the Gamla label called Gamla HaShmura, which roughly translates to Gamla Reserve, though "Reserve" is a term that GHW has never used in the past to the best of my knowledge.

The wines are three reds, a Cabernet, Nebiollo and Tampanillo, and a sparkling Brut.

I have no idea how and when these wines will be sold in the U.S.

Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Re: New Gamla Line "Gamla HaShmura"

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:37 am

I was told that they're riper, more fruit forward than the regular Gamla :roll: No plans yet to make them available in the U.S.
I'm surprised at GHW as they're usually very sophisticated with their branding. This will be super confusing, as the wines are all equivalent to the existing Gamla varietals, with the added "HaShmura" moniker. Moreover, if and when these wines ever make it over the pond, it will be even more confusing. "Gilgal Reserve" anyone? It's also unclear what niche these are filling, as there isn't all that much daylight between the Gamla and "regular" Yarden lines. Having said that, I look forward to trying these wines, as I do with anything GHW puts out.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Re: New Gamla Line "Gamla HaShmura"

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 am

As I started writing this post, the siren went off here in Jerusalem... :shock: All fine, thank G-d.

From what I understand, neither the Brut nor the Nebbiolo will be part anymore of the regular Gamla/Gilgal series and will be indeed included in the new Hashmura series that will likely be found only at wine shops and not at supermakets as opposed to the regular series. Elie you're probably right, they want to fill the gap and these wines will likely be priced in the 80-90 shekels in Israel, like Barkan Assemblage. Having said that I hope but doubt they will be as good value as the Barkan are...

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum