The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Rhones At Dinner...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Rhones At Dinner...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:40 am

Tried last night w/ dinner:
1. SanLiege Cotes du Coast PasoRobles (28% Roussanne/26% Marsanne/46% Viognier; 9 brls; 14.7%) CurtSchalchlin/SantaMaria 2004: Med.gold color; strong ripe/peachy/Viog/dried mango-pineapple slight nutty/butterscotch pudding/buttery slight herbal somewhat complex nose; soft/fat/lush slightly hot/alcoholic strong dried mango/pineapply/peachy/Viog/ripe some buttery/butterscotch/nutty quite rich bit complex flavor; very long rich/ripe/lush soft/fat strong dried mango-pineapple/very ripe peach/Viog light nutty/butterscotch finish; quite a rich/lush/soft wine that just skirts the porky paradigm; developing some interesting aged character; probably should be drunk afore the alcohol takes over.
2. HugCllrs Syrah CentralCoast (13.8%; www.NoBowlingSkills.org) PasoRobles 2004: Very dark/near black color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah somewhat roasted/Rhonish/peppery/espresso light toasty/oak/smokey complex/Rhonish nose; soft rich/ripe/lush some pungent/roasted/Rhonish/coffee rather charred/toasty/oak very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/earthy flavor w/ slight tannic bite; long intense blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah some roasted/espresso/Rhonish finish w/ some hard/tannic bite in aftertaste; lots of ripe PR Syrah character w/ a nice salute to the Rhone in there; really a quite tasty Syrah.
1. Hug: Made by Augie & Raquel Hug there in PasoRobles. I first met Augie when he started making his wines down at JohnAlban's during a visit there. So, I guess, it might be said I followed him from the very start. Our next encounter was on the lanes of WilsonLanes at the first HdR bowling competition. That was, of course, the year that our OnlyTheRhonely team captured the trophy. Augie's team showed an abysmal level of bowling skills that made them the laughing-stock of the entire contingent of HdR's at WilsonLanes that night.
Some of Augie's early wines showed a certain degree of funk that I suspected were some bacterial problems. So I tried this wine w/ a bit of trepidation. However, it had done just fine and showed no signs of any sort of funk. I was quite favorably impressed by how this wine has developed.
Tom