Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Apples on Horseback

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Apples on Horseback

by Jenise » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:17 pm

This simple recipe showed up in my inbox this morning, and it struck me as a simple but elegant little hors d'Ouvres for service anytime, but perhaps in autumn most of all. Thought I'd share. Of course, though its rather specific about which apple and which cheese to use, I wouldn't hesitate to substitute though a softer cheese that melts too efficiently might not be advisable.

16 thin slices of pancetta
1 Pink Lady apple—peeled and cut into 16 wedges
3 ounces Manchego cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
Sixteen 2-inch rosemary sprigs or toothpicks, for skewers

Preheat a grill pan. Arrange the pancetta slices on a work surface and place an apple wedge and a cheese stick in the center of each slice. Wrap the pancetta around the filling and secure with a rosemary sprig or toothpick.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: RCP: Apples on Horseback

by Howie Hart » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm assuming one does something with the pre-heated grill pan. :wink:
Sound great! Something tells me bacon, sharp cheddar and Cortland would work.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I'm assuming one does something with the pre-heated grill pan. :wink:
Sound great! Something tells me bacon, sharp cheddar and Cortland would work.

Ha! That was my first time trying to copy something from one place to the other on my iPad. Obviously, I didn't get it all. :oops: It said to grill them them three or so minutes per side, until the pancetta crisps up.

That combo sounds great. Speaking of cheddar, the English cheddar with chives in it (Cotswold?) would be a good choice too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Sounds good Jenise and Howie. Thanks for passing it on.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 am

Wow, that does sound yummy.
I agree about the soft cheese. In fact, at our last wine group, my friend brought a simple appetizer of asparagus spears, coated with soft cheese and wrapped with Proscuitto. It was delicious. I asked her what kind of cheese and she was embarrassed to tell me Rondele Garlic and Herb. Hey, it tasted great! She insisted I take home the leftovers which I happily did. We enjoyed the last of them last night crisped under the broiler. Even better!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)