The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Selaks Ice Wine '11...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Selaks Ice Wine '11...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Tried this the other night:
1. Selaks Ice EastCoast/NewZealand PremiumSelection (11%; 51% GWT/49% Riesling) 2011: Med.dark gold color; very intense/Semillon/apricotty/peachy/melony/grapey/orange marmalade slight volatile/EA quite perfumed/fragrant nose; fairly tart intense peachy/apricotty/Semillon/figgy/orange marmalade some botrytis (??) very grapey/passito like quite sweet flavor; very long/lingering quite sweet tart intense apricotty/figgy/peachy/orange marmalade some botrytis (?) finish; a very clean highly perfumed quite sweet balanced dessert wine at a very good price. $21.00/hlf
1. The Selak WebSite hasn't much info on how this wine was made. No GWT/Riesling character that I could identify. The figgy character reminded me of Semillon more than anything. It seemed to have a touch of botrytis in it. The very intense grapey character suggested a passito or late harvest wine. I presume this was made as a freezer ice wine, which I tend to find on the simple & boring side. This Ice wine was not at all like that. A very/very good dessert wine.
Tom
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: WTN: Selaks Ice Wine '11...(short/boring)

by Peter May » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:09 pm

TomHill wrote:
I presume this was made as a freezer ice wine,

That they didn't label it 'ice wine' is the giveaway, but they do explain how they make 'ice' on the tasting note PDF on their site http://www.selaks.co.nz/site/uploads/20 ... e-2010.pdf