The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Thanksgiving Bottles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Thanksgiving Bottles

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:52 am

A lovely Thanksgiving meal with Laura, my parents and our annual guest, Salil. The turkey came out perfectly, and defied those who claim that turkey is boring/has no flavor. No weird dishes meant a wine friendly dinner. Even the butternut squash (seasoned with nothing more than salt & pepper) was reasonably friendly to the sparkler and the Riesling.

2002 Huet Petillant
The original release, not the supposedly "better" late release, or the supposedly "even more better" late, late release, nor the supposedly "even better than all the other releases" late, late, late reserve release. This was lovely, elegant, white fruited and slightly toasty. A wonderful way to start the meal, and also (because there was a glass left) to finish it.

2011 Domaine Tempier Rosé
Refined, pretty yet powerful. Sweet berry fruit that was a fine partner to the food.

2011 Donnhoff Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg 'Felsenturmchen' Riesling Spatlese
Powerful, minerally, loads of ripe peach and cherry. This is supremely well balanced auslese that is labeled spatlese.

2009 Baudry Chinon Franc de Pied
The myth, the legend. Initially its rather straightforward with loads of dark fruit, but air brings out a cedary element on the front end, and a tobacco element on the back end. Long, long finish. Tons of promise here, though I would let it rest for the time being.

1987 Lopez de Heredia vina Bosconia Gran Reserva
So elegant, so balanced. Cedar, red fruit, spice, warm earth & soft tannins all wrapped up with a bow. With a more "complicated" Thanksgiving table this could have been lost, but simple dishes (no crispy onions or marshmallows on this table!) were a perfect partner.

Somehow the Geyserville that was standing up in the cellar never got opened. Go figure.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Thanksgiving Bottles

by James Roscoe » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Best of the holidays to you and Laura! Happy win(e)ing!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks for hosting and having me over. A great evening as always. Wonderful job with the turkey, and those were some lovely wines enjoyed with great company.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:49 am

Nice!
I've lost track of which Huets are release 1 and which are release 2, but love them both
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:26 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Somehow the Geyserville that was standing up in the cellar never got opened. Go figure.

Hmmm, losing your touch or getting old? :wink: Happy Thanksgiving!
That Bosconia sounds nice.