The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Dessert Wines...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Dessert Wines...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:51 pm

With dessert on Thanksgiving, we had two dessert wines:
1. Domaine du Petit Metris AC: Coteaux du Layon Chaume (12.5%; MeBalP; RS: 10.4%; SaH: 31.6%) JosephRenou/St.Aubin de Luigne 2009: Med.gold color; fairly strong peachy/apricotty some botrytis light earthy/dusty/mineral/chalky rather low-key fragrant nose; fairly sweet quite tart rather fresh peach/apricot light botrytis biit earthy/dusty/mineral slight honeyed quite clean/refreshing flavor; very long fresh peach/apricot light botrytis tart/fresh bit mineral/dusty finish; not a lot of overt botrytis but a very briight/sprightly/honeyed CheninBlanc; quite a lovely wine of an Auslese level and quite nice for the price and will go out 10-20 yrs. $32.00 (AV)
2. The Historic GalleanoWnry Ancient Angelica OldVines CucamongaVlly (18%) MiraLoma NV: Deep brown color; strong caramel/brown sugar/candied walnuts/old Christmas fruit cake/grapey bit OlorosoSherry/oxidized some complex nose; quite sweet soft/flat/underacid caramel/fruit cake/brown sugar/creme brulee pecan pie/walnutty/grapey fairly alcoholic flavor; fairly long soft/fat/grapey caramal/old Christmas fruit cake/candied/brown sugar/Karo syrup/pecan pie finish; seems younf/simple/grapey and not the complexity you'd expect of old Angelica; rest of the btl goes onto my two 30 yr old fruit cakes; pricey at $40.00 (CB)
1. Angelica: This is an old-time genre of Calif dessert wine. Traditional made from Mission grapes, the grapes are crushed and immediately fortified up to 18%-21% alcohol to prevent the fermentation (Federal law requires it be fermented up to 0.5% before fortification...but this is seldom followed). The old Calif Angelicas were traditionally stored in glass carboys forever. I've had some old ones that were incredible complex. This one was not one of those. It had a bit of complexity, buut did not speak of "ancient". The Mission vines there at Galleano are ancient, but it didn't reflect in this Angelica. It was rather on the dull side. To its credit, it was the best Galleano wine I've had this year.
Other examples of Angelica-style wines exist. Pineau des Charentes from the Cognac region is one. Ratafia is made in Champagne. The Quady Elysium and Essensia are made as Angelicas. DeborahHall's GypsyCanyon Angelica, made from Mission vines planted by the padres near Lompoc, is probably the best one around. The SanMartin Montinico was a great one. I've had some amazing old ones from EastSideWnry (RIP).
Tom