The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Do you prefer your champagne on the fresh or aged end?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Do you prefer your champagne on the fresh or aged end?

by Jeff B » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:41 pm

I suppose most would say a perfect balance of the two, but I also suspect that each palate gravitates more towards one or the other.

I ask this because I'm a bit quirky in that I favor champagnes on the aged and languid end (if I can choose). I don't mind a moderate loss of effervescence and love bubblies that have that mellow honeyed tone. And it doesn't matter if it's a Chardonnay dominated cuvee or a Pinot-dominated one. Although the blanc de blancs often take longer to get to that desired mellowness.

On the other hand, I know that some tasters downgrade any champagne that doesn't have adequate zest and vitality. But I've had champagnes that others would surely claim as near-gone, and I enjoyed them!

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: Do you prefer your champagne on the fresh or aged end?

by Jay Labrador » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:36 am

Aged, definitely.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 am

Depends on ones definition of aged :)

According the the Champagne houses -- who tell me that their product is perfect for drinking on release and there's no need to keep it but one should drink straight away -- I like it aged. By which I mean I keep between 6 months and 3 years before opening and I think there is a noticeable improvment, especially on the cheaper ones.

But I don't like the deep coloured lost -fizz ones that I get when I keep for too long.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 am

Jeff, I'm with you exactly. Loss of fizz is not a problem with me if it is accompanied by greater honied notes and mineral complexity. Years ago I had a Piper Heidsieck NV at least 25 years old that was fabulous but with little fizz.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:18 am

Young or old - love Champagne either way.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 am

C) All of the above!

In fact, I'll take still/bubble free Champagne too - if and when I can get my hands on any Coteaux Champenois from a good producer.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm net yet very experienced with aged Champagne, but based on what I've had, I'm with David - I like them young or old. Even including painfully young Krug.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 pm

ok, i'll go the other way - definitly younger. i can take a moderate amount of age as long as the oxidative elements aren't obvious. yes, they can be too fresh; but that is a problem soon solved.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 pm

NV Brut almost always seems a bit green to me and almost always seems to benefit from at least 6 and maybe 18 months in the cellar. Of course that may just be the brands that I regularly buy.

Really old somewhat dead vintage Champagne can be interesting from a science experiement point of view but I think its a bit of a waste.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:39 pm

aged, but not ancient
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:46 pm

A little age on my champagne usually works best for me. In the mid-1980s, I opened a bottle of Taylor champagne about ten years after it had been the wine at a weeding. This was about $4 a bottle, New York State champagne. Expecting the worst for good reason, I was very pleasantly surprised by a light sherry flavor with a slight sparkle. While I would not repeat this with any expectation of quality (Taylor doesn't even exist for all intents and purposes) it did teach me that champagne with some age can be a very good thing indeed.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:A little age on my champagne usually works best for me. In the mid-1980s, I opened a bottle of Taylor champagne about ten years after it had been the wine at a weeding. This was about $4 a bottle, New York State champagne. Expecting the worst for good reason, I was very pleasantly surprised by a light sherry flavor with a slight sparkle. While I would not repeat this with any expectation of quality (Taylor doesn't even exist for all intents and purposes) it did teach me that champagne with some age can be a very good thing indeed.

I agree Jon. While I wouldn't turn down a youthful champagne, it is when a champagne loses its bubbles that it really starts to get interesting, in my humble opinion.

I was taught that lesson by, of all bottles, a NV Perrier Jouet. It was in a half bottle and was probably "well over the hill" by all scientific measures. The fizz was languid and vanished quickly after about 15 minutes in the glass. But it was one of the most interesting champagnes I've ever had - with a burnt caramel apple type of flavor. I learned that day that not only do I like "over the hill" champagne, but that even NV bottles can evolve into something magical with enough aging. Not that every bottle does, but you never know until you pop the cork.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Jon Peterson wrote:A little age on my champagne usually works best for me. In the mid-1980s, I opened a bottle of Taylor champagne about ten years after it had been the wine at a weeding. This was about $4 a bottle, New York State champagne. Expecting the worst for good reason, I was very pleasantly surprised by a light sherry flavor with a slight sparkle. While I would not repeat this with any expectation of quality (Taylor doesn't even exist for all intents and purposes) it did teach me that champagne with some age can be a very good thing indeed.

I agree Jon. While I wouldn't turn down a youthful champagne, it is when a champagne loses its bubbles that it really starts to get interesting, in my humble opinion.

I was taught that lesson by, of all bottles, a NV Perrier Jouet. It was in a half bottle and was probably "well over the hill" by all scientific measures. The fizz was languid and vanished quickly after about 15 minutes in the glass. But it was one of the most interesting champagnes I've ever had - with a burnt caramel apple type of flavor. I learned that day that not only do I like "over the hill" champagne, but that even NV bottles can evolve into something magical with enough aging. Not that every bottle does, but you never know until you pop the cork.

Jeff

Remember too languid, no pop!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:18 am

At MOCOOL a few years ago, the theme was "Sweet 16 and Bubbly", which meant any wines 16 years old (1990) or sparkling wines. There were several examples that hit both criteria. I recall tasting about a dozen 1990 vintage Champagnes. It was my first experience with aged Champagne and I was amazed. A common characteristic of these wines was earthy, mushroomy aromas that had developed over time, which I liked.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:28 pm

I'd say younger for Chard, older for Pinot and blends, but in any case the age should be accompanied by late disgorgement. The nicest part of the Chards is their abundant fruit, while the yeast autolysis is what makes an aged Champagne to me. I'm not a big oxidation freak.