The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '03 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Riesling Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: '03 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Riesling Spatlese

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 am

2003 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese
We opened this as a bit of a lark for a mid-week mini celebration. The first sip was lovely, and the wine stayed on a consistent, high peak all evening. Flavors run to the peachy side of the spectrum, though there are too many other fruit elements to pin them all down. Michael Broadbent has often referref to "Nahe fruit salad", and that is a very apt descriptor. Some developed characteristics are beginning to emerge, though they are not a focal point at this stage. What is quite stunning is the overall balance of the wine. It is completely of a piece. Nothing sticks out. Some might call it soft, as the acids are not a specific factor, but I would rather just think of the wine as completely integrated, even at this youthful stage. It glides across the palate like silk, and leaves no trace of heaviness, just a wisp of fruit and a saline minerality that lingers long after the wine is gone.

I have little faith in my store of 2003 German Riesling, but a bottle such as this one gives me more than a glimmer of hope (at least for Donnhoff).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: '03 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Riesling Spatlese

by Brian Gilp » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:43 am

My brother opened a 2003 Donnhoff Spatlese for Thanksgiving. I think it was the Brucke but really did not pay close attention. Very nice, a little Petrol starting to show added to the complexity. Only issue I had was that it could have used a little more acid but considering the vintage it was just about everything one could hope for.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: '03 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Riesling Spatlese

by Salil » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 am

Good stuff. We'll have some other awesome things next week to continue celebrating.

There are a couple of '03s I've really enjoyed in the last couple of years from Donnhoff and Schaefer. It's not a vintage I seek out for myself, but I'm not too concerned about the one bottle of the 03 Hermannshohle Auslese (only '03 in my cellar right now) that I've buried away.