The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Jeremy Quastana Loire Valley "Cot"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Jeremy Quastana Loire Valley "Cot"

by Brian K Miller » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 pm

With turkey enchiladas.

Controversial wine. I LOVE funky hipster "natural" French wines. They are an acquired taste and I can understand why many??? most??? people don't like them.

http://www.wineterroirs.com/2012/08/jer ... loire.html

Anyway, this Cot from so very young Jeremy Quastana (from the photos he looks like he should be riding a skateboard, not making wine for his own label!) was definitely funkier than even the Gamay I brought to Thanksgiving. But..it had such beautiful earthy PURPLE fruit that just sang in the glass. Still prefer L'Insurge (the gamay), but this was an interesting tipple for sure!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: Jeremy Quastana Loire Valley "Cot"

by Marc D » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks for the note, I am curious about this guy's wines.

So this is semi carbonic fermented Cot with little or no sulfur added?
I'm guessing lots of up front fruit with some funk, acidic structure and not a lot of tannins.

Have you tried the rose sparkler from Quastana yet?
For me the Pet Nat sparklers are some of my favorite easy drinkers from these natural winemakers.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Jeremy Quastana Loire Valley "Cot"

by Brian K Miller » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Not tried any of the sparklers.

You are right, though...that there is a lot of rich fruit up front. "Purple" is the only descriptor that comes to mind!
But it definitely has a "Malbecness" about it that is totally distinct from Argentine versions I have tried. Not very experienced in Cahors, so can't comment there.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach