The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How is your cellar organized?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

How is your cellar organized?

by Jeff B » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Do you keep all bottles of the same type together? Are your "ready to drink" bottles at the front of the cellar? Do you put labels on the neck of the bottles?

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: How is your cellar organized?

by Florida Jim » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:28 pm

By country, and then region.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Same for me.
"Tastes are perhaps first and foremost distastes, provoked by the disgust and visceral intolerance ... of the taste of others". Pierre Bourdieu (1984, p. 56)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Poorly. Did I just say that?
It isn't complicated: as you walk through the door, old world on the left, new world on the right, by country and All lables are visible. On the back wall are wines that are sleeping, with neck tags so I don't have to move bottles much, and champagne and books and extra glasses and other odds and ends. I do not use bin numbers or anything more complicated than placing wines of a type with each other, except for the neck tags, of which there are only a few dozen.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:02 pm

It's not. I have stuff stuck everywhere.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:35 pm

All neck tagged, and stored by some retarded mashup of regions and grape types which only makes sense to me. For instance, I have Bordeaux's in one place and WA and CA cabs/blends in another, with similar from anywhere else stored with their countrymen, but all pinots, something I also have a lot of, are stored together.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 pm

I have 10 different racks in the cellar, each of which holds a different category: Bordeaux, Burgundy, CalCab, Zinfandel, New World Syrah, N Rhone Syrah, Beaujolais, New World Pinot Noir, Chateauneuf, and a diamond rack subdivided into 9-10 different subgroups: Muscadet, Riesling, Loire Chenin, Loire Cab Franc, Piemonte, Tuscany, SW France, Austria. Then there's the miscellaneous rack with assorted white wines and my dwindling Fer Servadou collection and the sparkling wines standing upright in the corner.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:27 am

I have two roughly 12'x8' bays of racks in the cellar. One is for more or less current drinking, which has a combination of diamond bins that hold up to 16 bottles, and individual pigeon holes. The other has shelves with [mostly mixed] cases of wine that isn't ready to drink yet. There's no order for the wines other than that. I keep a home-made computerized database (hey, I was a progammer for 40 years) that I update two or three times a year (and update the printout by hand [almost] every time I pull out a bottle).
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 pm

We have a small cellar with a 98 bottle custom made rack. We do have some 12 hole heavy plastic racks to handle rare overflow. The bottom three or four rows are laid down wines in the order we plan to drink them. The order is frequently changed requiring reracking. The upper rows are for rotatation with wines stored vertically by type with one white and one red column for misc. Some of the misc. are our favorites.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Right now? Badly!

I need to do a complete re-org.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:55 pm

My cellar is an elderly Vinotemp that holds about 360 bottles. It isn't organized. My spreadsheet has the location of each bottle, however. I have it divided into a reds page and a whites page, and each page is usually sorted by varietal, then brand, then vintage. I also have a page for reds consumed and one for whites consumed, using the same general organization.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Right now? Badly!

David,
Remember the old adage, "simplify, simplify." If you feel that you need help, er... simplifying, just put out the call a la Bob Ross. I know that I'd be happy to help out! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:14 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Right now? Badly!

I'm in the same boat. I have one rack (144 bottles) of all Ridge wine, one rack (144 bottles) of mixed Bordeaux and Port and those are well organized but then I have about 30 or so cases stacked all over the place on the floor. Total disaster.
Tom T.