How is your cellar organized?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

How is your cellar organized?

Postby Jeff B » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Do you keep all bottles of the same type together? Are your "ready to drink" bottles at the front of the cellar? Do you put labels on the neck of the bottles?

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
Jeff B
Champagne Lover

Location: Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Re: How is your cellar organized?

Postby Florida Jim » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:28 pm

By country, and then region.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
Florida Jim
Wine guru

Postby John S » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Same for me.
"Tastes are perhaps first and foremost distastes, provoked by the disgust and visceral intolerance ... of the taste of others". Pierre Bourdieu (1984, p. 56)
John S
Wine guru

Postby Jon Peterson » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Poorly. Did I just say that?
It isn't complicated: as you walk through the door, old world on the left, new world on the right, by country and All lables are visible. On the back wall are wines that are sleeping, with neck tags so I don't have to move bottles much, and champagne and books and extra glasses and other odds and ends. I do not use bin numbers or anything more complicated than placing wines of a type with each other, except for the neck tags, of which there are only a few dozen.
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Postby Sam Platt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:02 pm

It's not. I have stuff stuck everywhere.
Sam

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are a small
matter compared to what lies within us" -Emerson
Sam Platt
I am Sam, Sam I am

Postby Jenise » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:35 am

All neck tagged, and stored by some retarded mashup of regions and grape types which only makes sense to me. For instance, I have Bordeaux's in one place and WA and CA cabs/blends in another, with similar from anywhere else stored with their countrymen, but all pinots, something I also have a lot of, are stored together.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Mark Lipton » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:44 am

I have 10 different racks in the cellar, each of which holds a different category: Bordeaux, Burgundy, CalCab, Zinfandel, New World Syrah, N Rhone Syrah, Beaujolais, New World Pinot Noir, Chateauneuf, and a diamond rack subdivided into 9-10 different subgroups: Muscadet, Riesling, Loire Chenin, Loire Cab Franc, Piemonte, Tuscany, SW France, Austria. Then there's the miscellaneous rack with assorted white wines and my dwindling Fer Servadou collection and the sparkling wines standing upright in the corner.
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Postby Ted Richards » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:27 am

I have two roughly 12'x8' bays of racks in the cellar. One is for more or less current drinking, which has a combination of diamond bins that hold up to 16 bottles, and individual pigeon holes. The other has shelves with [mostly mixed] cases of wine that isn't ready to drink yet. There's no order for the wines other than that. I keep a home-made computerized database (hey, I was a progammer for 40 years) that I update two or three times a year (and update the printout by hand [almost] every time I pull out a bottle).
Ted Richards
Ultra geek

Postby Carl Eppig » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:19 pm

We have a small cellar with a 98 bottle custom made rack. We do have some 12 hole heavy plastic racks to handle rare overflow. The bottom three or four rows are laid down wines in the order we plan to drink them. The order is frequently changed requiring reracking. The upper rows are for rotatation with wines stored vertically by type with one white and one red column for misc. Some of the misc. are our favorites.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Right now? Badly!

I need to do a complete re-org.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby John Treder » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:55 pm

My cellar is an elderly Vinotemp that holds about 360 bottles. It isn't organized. My spreadsheet has the location of each bottle, however. I have it divided into a reds page and a whites page, and each page is usually sorted by varietal, then brand, then vintage. I also have a page for reds consumed and one for whites consumed, using the same general organization.
John in the wine county
John Treder
Zinaholic

Postby Mark Lipton » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Right now? Badly!

David,
Remember the old adage, "simplify, simplify." If you feel that you need help, er... simplifying, just put out the call a la Bob Ross. I know that I'd be happy to help out! :mrgreen:
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Postby Tom Troiano » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:14 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Right now? Badly!

I'm in the same boat. I have one rack (144 bottles) of all Ridge wine, one rack (144 bottles) of mixed Bordeaux and Port and those are well organized but then I have about 30 or so cases stacked all over the place on the floor. Total disaster.
Tom T.
Tom Troiano
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum