Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What do you cook for Christmas dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

What do you cook for Christmas dinner?

by Jeff B » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Turkey a la Thanksgiving? Or is it something different?

We love to do Spaghetti & Meatballs as a main course.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What do you cook for Christmas dinner?

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 pm

There's a local tradition among some of the local foodie gang (without families in town) to go to Vietnam Kitchen for a huge Vietnamese feast on Christmas afternoon. :lol:
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 pm

It has become tradition in our house to do a bone-in Prime Rib Roast. We always look forward to it!

Spaghetti and meatballs Jeff? Are you Italian?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Standing Rib Roast from a local cattle ranch - always pretty great. I'm already thinking about the wine but no final decision yet.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Bone-in prime rib roast, cooked in a salt crust. I don't cook Christmas dinner anymore so I am not in charge of the meal. Last year we had the prime rib and it was totally the best.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Carrie L. wrote:It has become tradition in our house to do a bone-in Prime Rib Roast. We always look forward to it!

Spaghetti and meatballs Jeff? Are you Italian?

No, it's just a little tradition we started on Christmas Eve about ten years ago and it has stuck. :)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Because of family members going two ways we a serving a ham dinner on Christmas Eve and a Tenderloin roast on Christmas.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:59 pm

My nephew and his wife have been hosting xmas dinner for the last few years and they prepare Virginia baked ham and Yankee pot roast for the mains. Anything except turkey is the family motto. THe rest of the family adds all the proper trimmings and desserts. I supply the wines both red and white. They figure I'm ITB and obtain wine at a better cost. Red usually is a Cotes du Rhone and the white I will choose when I see what's available at the store. Reds much easier to choose than white because there's a much better selection red. The wines selected are better than most of the family is used to drinking but I will not drink bad wine if I can help it. :roll:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Some sort of roasted cow has been our tradition. We've done prime rib. tenderloin, and a couple of other cuts over the years. Not sure what we'll end up with this time.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 am

It's always been lasagna on Christmas eve, until last year and I did a variation on Jenise's rolled. stuffed pork loin. It was a big hit. Christmas day is often tortiere. I usually save a big beef dinner for New Year's Eve.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:46 am

No firm tradition, but we often do goose.
Last year goose and beef tenderloin were mains
Year before a crown pork roast and mushroom lasagna
Year before that double bird - goose and capon.

Night before is usually Feast of the 7 Fishes (usually at sister in laws), No one is Italian-American, but SiL and niece are pesce-vegetarians. I generally go to the streets after late service on Christmas Eve, so only have one glass of wine on Eve. Goose plus another meat gives me lots of options for wine matching on Christmas Day to make up.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Howie Hart wrote:It's always been lasagna on Christmas eve, until last year and I did a variation on Jenise's rolled. stuffed pork loin. It was a big hit. Christmas day is often tortiere. I usually save a big beef dinner for New Year's Eve.

Howie/Jenise,
Could you please direct me to a link to this method or recipe? It sounds perfect for a dinner party we are having Tuesday night. I've been struggling with coming up with just the right thing to make and this sounds like it!
Thanks!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Coq au Vin.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Carrie - look on page 59 of the "What's Cooking" thread and scroll down for Jenise's: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33714&start=1392
My only variation was to add a cooked spinach layer to the stuffing: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42315&p=346749
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:51 am

The old family tradition was leftover turkey from Christmas Eve.
Now that I'm by myself, if I'm not invited somewhere, it's very often turkey soup from Thanksgiving.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:21 am

Howie Hart wrote:Carrie - look on page 59 of the "What's Cooking" thread and scroll down for Jenise's: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33714&start=1392
My only variation was to add a cooked spinach layer to the stuffing: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42315&p=346749

Thank you Howie (and Jenise). You guys inpsired me to make a stuffed braised veal breast with a smiliar stuffing of mushrooms, proscuitto, rosemary and parm. It's Anne Burrell's recipe and it got five stars. I'll let you know how it is! Now I just need to come up with appetizers, salads, sides, etc! Open to suggestions!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:08 pm

On years when we celebrate Christmas with my family in Portland, it's prime rib and salmon on Christmas Eve and something relaxed and informal on Christmas day (a tradition rooted in a complicated past). On alternate years, when we're in Florida with Jean's family, it's usually turkey on Christmas day, though that might change now that Jean's parents have relocated to be near her brother and sis-in-law.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Christmas Eve is always a crab feed. Gene and I provide the crab, someone a salad, and eldest son always makes something for youngest son who does not eat crab, and for the kids. This year we are going with extra crab to take to my step mom who is in an independent living facility. We will make crab sandwiches for all of us for lunch. Should be fun!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:30 pm

We often get together with a bunch of our snarky buddies on Christmas afternoon and go out to Vietnam Kitchen, a great little hole-in-the-wall in our town's mini-Southeast Asian neighborhood. Mmm ... I'm thinking about some Banh Xeo and a big bowl of pho right now ...
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Celebrating the holiday at Mom's again this year, so Xmas eve will be pan fried smelt for apps and a choice of seafood from the local (Fla.) monger. Xmas day will be prime rib
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Some sort of roasted cow has been our tradition. We've done prime rib. tenderloin, and a couple of other cuts over the years. Not sure what we'll end up with this time.

Us too. This year I might do a Wellington. I have potentially 6 to 10 guests, two with very serious health issue (like, one just had her lower intestines removed Thursday) so might not know until the last second whether they'll make it. I invited them knowing that, just wanting them to have the warm embrace of knowing they have a place to go but no pressure.

One sure-thing Christmas tradition: corned beef hash for breakfast on Xmas day, with lots of red and green bell pepper for the great Xmas color.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Christmas Eve is always a crab feed. Gene and I provide the crab, someone a salad, and eldest son always makes something for youngest son who does not eat crab, and for the kids. This year we are going with extra crab to take to my step mom who is in an independent living facility. We will make crab sandwiches for all of us for lunch. Should be fun!

That;s kind of the height of your crabbing season down there, right? What a great Christmas treat.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:50 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Howie Hart wrote:Carrie - look on page 59 of the "What's Cooking" thread and scroll down for Jenise's: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33714&start=1392

Thank you Howie (and Jenise). You guys inpsired me to make a stuffed braised veal breast with a smiliar stuffing of mushrooms, proscuitto, rosemary and parm. It's Anne Burrell's recipe and it got five stars. I'll let you know how it is! Now I just need to come up with appetizers, salads, sides, etc! Open to suggestions!

Carrie - do report back on that veal and post the recipe if you liked it....making me hungry!!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:42 pm

John F wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:

Carrie - do report back on that veal and post the recipe if you liked it....making me hungry!!

Okay, reporting back....
This is the recipe I saw that sounded really good http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/stuffed-braised-veal-breast-recipe/index.html, despite never having had or even laid eyes on a veal breast. I ordered one from our "fancy" grocery store in town. When it came in (the day before our dinner party) the butcher plopped it up on the counter and I'm thinking to myself, "What in the H-LL have I gotten myself into???" I'm not sure what I pictured it to look like, but this was not it! So with the butcher's help, we decided to slice off the rib section and cut a nice 6LB "chunk" of roast. It looked almost like a brisket, but not as red, obviously. When I got it home, I tried pounding it as the recipe suggests, but my mallet just bounced back at me. Not sure what the pounding was supposed to accomplish and I guess we'll never know. I stuffed and tied it, then seasoned it and put it in the fridge until the next day. The next day I continued following the recipe, which by the way, makes about twice too much stuffing. It wouldn't all fit and squished out the bottom. Maybe if the roast would have flattened with the pounding, it might have fit, but that was not to be. Next time I will halve the amount of stuffing. I have to say, I was VERY nervous aobut this roast, and I'm not usually a nervous cook, or hostess. Just never having worked with a breast, I wasn't sure what to expect. I used the oblong Le Crueset and actually cooked it on top of the rib portion, thinking that may add flavor and or juiciness. The recipe says the serve with reduced sauce and onions, but my onions were complete mush, so I decided to strain it and put it in my fat separator. It was a little too salty, so I added a little hot water, more wine and broth (I use low salt) and reduced a little more. The meal got rave reviews. In fact, it got more rave reviews than any dinner party I've ever had. Our guests were positively gushing with compliments. I served the roast with Marscapone Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
Should have taken more photos of the process, but I did take two.... The second photo is of the "leftovers" so at least you could see how the roast looked when cut (this was the end cut). Also sharing a photo of my little appetizer platter, because I think it came out kinda cute.
Veal Roast.jpg

Leftovers.jpg

appies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Next