The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 J. Rochioli Pinot Noir Estate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

WTN: 2000 J. Rochioli Pinot Noir Estate

by Dan Donahue » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:05 pm

• 2000 J. Rochioli Pinot Noir Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/1/2006)
    No faux-syrah affectations for this multi-vineyard blend. Color was a slightly cloudy, medium ruby with some clearing on the rim. Nose of red fruits with an earthy undertone. I tasted sour red cherry and spice on the attack, got nothing special mid-palate but enjoyed the smooth medium finish. A nice melange of elegance and funk. Drink up. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: TN: 2000 J. Rochioli Pinot Noir Estate

by Redwinger » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Dan,
Thanks for the note. IIRC, there are a few of these back in the dark spots of my cellar that should be put in the tasting line-up.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:04 pm

I have never had a Rochioli Pinot Noir but loved the 2002 Gary Farrell Russian River Valley P.N. which had Rochioli-sourced grapes as one of the grapes in the blend. We were told that the Rochioli and Allen grapes contributed the marvelous nose. Would you say that this 2000 Pinot Noir was particularly aromatic or not?
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

nose

by Dan Donahue » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:21 pm

JC--I wouldn't say particularly. It opened up fairly quickly and didn't change much. Pretty pure though. Enjoyable.

I have a bottle of the '01 Farrell RRV PN, I'll pull it and check it out. I'm all out of the '00 Rochioli and I'm told that the later vintages have a significantly different blend.

Maybe Bill will pull one of his :wink:
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:11 pm

The 2002 Gary Farrell Russian River Valley P.N. was the one that really blew my mind at a wine dinner in Raleigh. I ordered three bottles but apparently they had already allocated the 2002 wine and filled the order with 2001. They are nice but I fel the 2002 was a couple notches better. I will look forward to seeing how he does in future years.