The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bourgogne PTG and Ahr Spätburgunder

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Bourgogne PTG and Ahr Spätburgunder

by Saina » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Domaine David Clark Bourgogne Passetoutgrain 2010
What a terrible wine. It is toxic! It is poisonous! I made the mistake of ordering a whole case of this in addition to a mixed case with three. So I had 15 in all.

But no one else needs to suffer, because I have an ottomated system for destroying bottles of this hazardous waste. Just send any unopened bottles you have to me (I'll PM the address) and you won't have to worry about them any longer! :D

2010 JJ Adenauer Spätburgunder Ahrweiler - Germany, Ahr
23€; 13% abv. Light colour. The aroma is of direct and simple Pinosity; the palate has nice, pure Pinot fruit and a good kick of acidity on the finish. It is a simple wine, but it is also a very pleasurable wine. Were it not so overpriced here I would buy a couple for short term storage (I think a year maybe two or three will only do this good as I like something other than primary fruit in Pinot.) What causes the warm microclimate in Ahr that makes it possible to grow attractive Pinot?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Bourgogne PTG and Ahr Spätburgunder

by Bill Hooper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi Otto, I love Ahr Spätburgunder -how indeed do they make such wonderful Pinot Noir there? The Ahr river valley is protected from much of the weather that the rest of the northern German regions have to face by the Eifel mountains. There is significantly less rainfall in the Ahr than in the Mosel (the Ahr is almost as dry as the Pfalz), so rot is less of a problem. The best sites are of Slate and Grauwacke, soils that retain heat very well, the vineyards are nasty-steep, and all are south-facing. Come to think of it, I had an '08 Meyer-Näkel Walporzheim Kräuterberg GG Spätburgunder a couple of weeks ago which was incredible -one of the best German Pinots that I've ever tasted, though still too young. I think that as the producers there start to replant, we'll see a much better mix of rootstock and clone (or shall we say more a suitable mix for the modern conditions of climate change and better vineyard-management), which should yield ever more interesting results. It is already happening.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com