The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: PattersonCllrs Roussanne LateHrvst '11..(short&sweet)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: PattersonCllrs Roussanne LateHrvst '11..(short&sweet)

by TomHill » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 am

Tried this on Fri night:
1. PattersonCllrs Roussanne LateHrvst ColumbiaVlly (86% Roussanne/14% Viognier; WillardFarms/Yakima; 13.1%; SaH: 48.5 Brix; RS: 26.5%; BarrelFrmtd in 100% new Fr.oak; www.PattersonCellars.com) 2011: Deep gold color; very intense/concentrated grapey/floral/almost Muscat-like huge fruit/apricotty/peachy/honeyed nose w/ little obvious botrytis; very sweet huge/intense/grapey/floral/overripe peaches rather honeyed/creme brulee tart/balanced slight toasty/oak/creme caramel rich/mouthfilling heavy bodied/textured beautifully intense flavor; very long/lingering quite sweet balanced/tart intense grapey/floral/honeyed/creme brulee finish that goes on & on; much like a very good Muscat de Pantelleria Passito w/o the Muscat; no obvious Roussanne character as I recognize it; an incredible/concentrated dessert wine that has the acidity & brightness to support all the RS and not seem goofy & mawkish; probably the greatest WashState dessert wine I've had; should last 20-30 yrs; stupid/silly price. $20.00/hlf
1. A friend of mine who travels to WashState frequently tried this wine in the Patterson tasting room, was so bedazzled by it that he ordered a case of it, confident that he could find a home for it. I took 4 hlf btls, sight unseen, on his recommend.
At that price, I expected a pleasant/sweet dessert wine, but nothing really special. I opened it w/ the boys down at ArroyoVino Fri night and after two unthrilling Aligianicos (CortiBros & Rhyme) and we were all three blown away by it. An absolutely stunning dessert wine...best I've ever had from WashState.
Not sure how this wine was made. I'm assuming it was just left to hang on the vine very long. If there was any botrytis present, it was not at the level you usually get in TBA Rieslings. Oftentimes, dessert wines this sweet can be sort of goofy and clumsy. This wine had the acidity & bright fruit to make it lively and nimble on its feet, w/o straying into the over-the-top land. One of the most intensely concentrated dessert wines I've had.
Patterson is not a wnry w/ which I'm familiar. Their WebSite (www.PattersonCellars.com) does not have a lot of information on it...either who are the people behind it..not how this wine was made. A wineries WebSite is a good place to get your story out to the rest of the world and I always find it frustrating when the wnry fails to do this.
Anyway...a pretty stunning dessert wine and a real discovery.
Tom