The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lagier-Meredith PreciousBane '10....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Lagier-Meredith PreciousBane '10....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:08 pm

We had w/ dessert at our BacchusBadBoys Xmas party:
1. Lagier-Meredith PreciousBane Syrah MtVeeder/NapaVlly Dessert Wine (50 cs; 18.5%; http://www.LagierMeredith.com) 2010: Very dark/black color; intense blackberry/boysenberry/framboise/Syrah bit licorice slight alcohol/liquer some Zin Port-like very strong/primary nose; somewhat sweet bit alcoholic/Porto-like intense blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/licorice bit tannic some tart rather framboise/liquer-like flavor; very long/lingering bit alcoholic/Porto-like very strong Syrah/blackberry/boysenberry/spicy/licorice some framboise/liquer finish; lots of ripe Syrah but not raisened/pruney like a LateHrvst Syrah; not the raw alcoholic burn of a Portugese Port; loads of Syrah fruit and should go out 20 yrs; much like some of the early LeeSobon/ShenandoahVnyds Zin Ports of the late '70's that are really drinking well right now. $43.00
1. I'm not quite sure how Steve&Carole made this wine. It seems to be perfectly ripe Syrah grapes but doesn't have the raisened/pruney character of a LateHarvest. It's obviously been fortified (presumably w/ high-proof/ethanol dominated grape brandy) and doesn't have the fumey/burning/alcoholic character of Portugese Porto (fortified w/ lower proof brandy w/ lots of higher alcohol congeners that really burn). I really liked this wine. It fits neither the Calif Syrah Port mold, nor the LateHrvst Calif Syrah mold. Maybe a bit like a Banyuls. And ideal accompainment to....gasp...chocolate brownies.
Our dinner was themed around NewWorld Syrahs. I was tasked to bring a Dessert Syrah, to fit the theme, and a dessert. ChocolateBrownies was the obvious choice. But I am soooo unworthy.....I cannot compete w/ the very best in ChocolateBrownies. My friends at the event would have taunted & scorned my attempts...my manhood would be questioned...the bullies down at the beach would kick sand in my face...with no CharlesAtlas around to protect me. So I made a WhippedRicotta/Crema/Mascarpone Chocolate-based dessert w/ Peppermint/Chocolate Macarons (alas..TraderJoe's). The dessert...like me...was only adequate.
Tom