Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Photo RCP: Six steps to an easy French omelet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Photo RCP: Six steps to an easy French omelet

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Let's try this again ...

1. Three fresh free-range eggs. The yolks are paler in autumn and winter when the hens don't have so many bugs to eat. Let's not think about this. (On Facebook, Jenise started an interesting discussion about whether the yellow summer yolks are the result of bugs or sunlight or both. Maybe she’ll bring it back here so we can chew on it some more.)

2. Melt a li'l butter with chunks of garlic and ginger to give it a delicious scent. This is one case where a good quality nonstick omelet pan is a plus.

3. Kosher salt, fresh-ground Telicherry pepper and a few dried red pepper flakes. Add them to the eggs with 1 tablespoon water for each egg, and mix with a fork.

4. Working over high heat, discard the ginger and garlic. Pour the seasoned eggs into the sizzling butter and let it sit for 60 seconds. Then stir it up in the center with a fork to "scramble" the center a bit. Stop to let the bottom re-set, shaking the pan to ensure it doesn't stick.

5. Lift the edges here and there and tilt the pan to let the liquid egg on top flow underneath. This step is the real secret to a successful French omelet.Moving quickly and shaking the pan, keep tilting the pan and lifting the edge so the liquid part on the top flows underneath, building up the cooked bottom in layers. This is the only way to make that even cooking happen with an omelet (high heat, fast cooking) as opposed to a frittata or tortilla which cook at lower heat and may get a quick broil or flip at the end to finish the top.

6. As soon as all the egg liquid is solidified but while the top is still creamy, add filling if any (I left this one au naturel), roll the finished omelet onto a warmed serving plate. Serve with a salad or veggies and enjoy.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Photo RCP: Six steps to an easy French omelet

by John Treder » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:03 pm

I love omelets. I usually use half an eggshell of water for a 2-egg omelet. And I start shaking the omelet around and pushing the edges toward the middle as soon as the edges start to set - just a few seconds after dumping the eggs in.
It's my opinion that the omelet should be much paler - just a tinge of gold, ideally.
A good flavor comes if you use some chives and some gently sauteed mixed garlic, stirred into the mix.
I think omelets are like spaghetti sauce - no two alike!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Making me hungry!

I just read in MArcus Samuelsson's book that in many kitchens he worked in - if there was any "color" in his omelet he had to throw it out and do it again
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 pm

John F wrote:Making me hungry!

I just read in MArcus Samuelsson's book that in many kitchens he worked in - if there was any "color" in his omelet he had to throw it out and do it again

I guess I just have coarse tastes. I like to brown it a little! Maybe I'll try a "pale" one sometime to SE what I think.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:54 pm

I'm with you Robin - yours looks delicious. I think the color is appealing and I like a bit of the "crisp" that comes from it in tandem with the softer egg part.

His book was pretty good by the way
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

John F wrote:I'm with you Robin - yours looks delicious. I think the color is appealing and I like a bit of the "crisp" that comes from it in tandem with the softer egg part.

His book was pretty good by the way

Yeah, Samuelsson is quite a chef! I would definitely be interested in his book. And after two testimonies that omelets should show no color, now I've got to try one that way. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:34 pm

You still use the biggest burner turned up all the way. The trick is to get The surface cooked and wrinkly without getting it noticeably brown. Don't worry, like all failed omelets, you can always call it scrambled eggs!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Really? An omelet has failed if it has a little brown on it? So happy I am not that fussy. As one who strives for perfection with most things, I would be driving myself nuts. Cooking is my outlet, my quiet time, a passion of mine. I want to be relaxed about it, not fretting over a speck of brown.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm not a big fan of eggs. But, I would eat that! Great photos and result, Robin. :P
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm with Marcus. I really don't like eggs that have browned (but brown eggs are fine :-). 'Course I'd still eat it anyway.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Ted Richards wrote:I'm with Marcus. I really don't like eggs that have browned (but brown eggs are fine :-). 'Course I'd still eat it anyway.

I don't feel any need to be defensive about my picture, but that was browned butter, not egg. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Shoot! Look really good to me and great way to go about it. Just gimme my damn eggs. Oh, and cook 'em in butter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Ted Richards wrote:

I'm with Marcus. I really don't like eggs that have browned (but brown eggs are fine :-). 'Course I'd still eat it anyway.

I don't eat omelets but make them often for my husband, and he also prefers no brown. They're tenderer, for one.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 pm

I must agree about the tender part. I made scrambled eggs on Sunday with spinach from the garden and added Swiss cheese. I made sure to cook them fast and follow what Robin said about the layers. No brown on them, and they were very moist and tender.The spinach had just a little al dente to it and we loved that for the freshness it added.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:19 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I must agree about the tender part. I made scrambled eggs on Sunday with spinach from the garden and added Swiss cheese. I made sure to cook them fast and follow what Robin said about the layers. No brown on them, and they were very moist and tender.

Really? I always cook my scrambled eggs very slowly over very low heat, to maximize the creamy/tender quality.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:05 pm

i'll vote with the no brown on the omelet and the low heat for creamy scrambled. btw, i just mix the eggs IN the pan so there are separate white and yellow parts throughout. and some fine herbs at the end.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I must agree about the tender part. I made scrambled eggs on Sunday with spinach from the garden and added Swiss cheese. I made sure to cook them fast and follow what Robin said about the layers. No brown on them, and they were very moist and tender.

Really? I always cook my scrambled eggs very slowly over very low heat, to maximize the creamy/tender quality.

Ditto. Too, because I use milk for a more luxurious texture in place of water, the low heat is pretty much required if one prefers no browning.

But I think we're all making a point here, there's no one right way when you're cooking for yourself. There's just what you like.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Hear ye, hear ye, Jenise!!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Just watched Jacques Pepin make an omelet. No brown. :)