Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Christina Cooks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26874

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Christina Cooks

by Jenise » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:50 pm

I'm watching this show as I type, it's on PBS' Create Channel. Don't know who Christina is, I've never seen her before; her shtick is healthy cooking. On the last dish she reached for a jalapeno--about two inches long, couldn't possibly be mistaken for anything else--and she called it a pablano.

Now on her second dish she added "jalapenos", but those were already chopped.

Odd.

She's using interesting ingredients. Made a "mayo" out of white beans and soy milk to go on a "burger" made out of beans, corn, bread crumbs (whole wheat, natch) and pureed tofu. It reminds me of the food a friend of mine ate when she spent a week at The Pritikin Institute in Santa Monica which probably no longer exists.

I have too much time on my hands today, can you tell? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Posts

5264

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Christina Cooks

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Hey, that extra time is great....time for you and you alone...go get a pedicure, take a long walk, order take out delivered to your home away from home.
How is Tammy Faye doing, Jenise?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26874

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Christina Cooks

by Jenise » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 am

After posting that, I spent the afternoon on the bed with Tammy watching a movie. She was as loving and appreciative (some days she's been standoffish) as she's been since this started, startlingly so. Nothing could make me feel better than that. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

2096

Joined

Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Location

NJ

Re: Christina Cooks

by Frank Deis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:00 am

I didn't know that was still on.

I had fun speculating about what her relationship is with the guy who occasionally comes and plays the guitar while she's cooking.

I suppose the phrase would be, she's not the sharpest knife.

But I kind of liked the show when I stumbled across it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26874

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Christina Cooks

by Jenise » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I didn't know that was still on.

I had fun speculating about what her relationship is with the guy who occasionally comes and plays the guitar while she's cooking.

I suppose the phrase would be, she's not the sharpest knife.

But I kind of liked the show when I stumbled across it.


He was on there yesterday, and it made me laugh out loud. So corny! What was she thinking, "Emeril did it"? She's not Emeril! But yeah when she thanked him for the number, she called him 'babe' or something that made me think, oh now I get it.

Might not be a recent taping, but something Create channel picked up cheap because it's old. I've not seen it before, but it's not like I ever turn it on and just watch whatever comes up (as long as its food or travel, that is) the way I have been over here with nothing but a 15 channel basic cable--the strangesst basic package you've ever seen. The four networks plus three PBS stations and C-Span. Thank god for the PBS stations!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Posts

3175

Joined

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:34 am

Location

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Christina Cooks

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I didn't know that was still on.

I had fun speculating about what her relationship is with the guy who occasionally comes and plays the guitar while she's cooking.

I suppose the phrase would be, she's not the sharpest knife.

But I kind of liked the show when I stumbled across it.

That guy is her husband (or whatever their spousal relationship is). I've seen the show about 2-3 times. There is something about the show and the couple that I find off-putting.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

2096

Joined

Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Location

NJ

Re: Christina Cooks

by Frank Deis » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:57 pm

I really thought I had seen her talk to HIM about her husband. Some research is in order. Except she's probably not "notable" enough for Wikipedia??

PS

"Creepy guitar player" is not Mr. Pirello

http://christinacooks.com/robert_pirello

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com ... 0289&st=60

http://jonmichaelsmusic.com/bio.php
Last edited by Frank Deis on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Posts

3021

Joined

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:20 pm

Re: Christina Cooks

by Lou Kessler » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm watching this show as I type, it's on PBS' Create Channel. Don't know who Christina is, I've never seen her before; her shtick is healthy cooking. On the last dish she reached for a jalapeno--about two inches long, couldn't possibly be mistaken for anything else--and she called it a pablano.

Now on her second dish she added "jalapenos", but those were already chopped.

Odd.

She's using interesting ingredients. Made a "mayo" out of white beans and soy milk to go on a "burger" made out of beans, corn, bread crumbs (whole wheat, natch) and pureed tofu. It reminds me of the food a friend of mine ate when she spent a week at The Pritikin Institute in Santa Monica which probably no longer exists.

I have too much time on my hands today, can you tell? :)

Wasn't the Pritikin Institute where they put you on a diet that made you wish you were dead already? Pritikin himself dropped dead of a heart attack? It's a long time ago I'm not sure if my info is correct?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26874

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Christina Cooks

by Jenise » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Wasn't the Pritikin Institute where they put you on a diet that made you wish you were dead already? Pritikin himself dropped dead of a heart attack? It's a long time ago I'm not sure if my info is correct?


Right on all accounts. And I went there on a guest night and had dinner with my friend, so can confirm your impressions. She said everything she'd eaten there was just as tasteless--but she wasn't there for the food. She wanted to open her own clinic like Pritikin's in either Europe or Africa, and was there see how it was done.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26874

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Christina Cooks

by Jenise » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I really thought I had seen her talk to HIM about her husband. Some research is in order. Except she's probably not "notable" enough for Wikipedia??

PS

"Creepy guitar player" is not Mr. Pirello

http://christinacooks.com/robert_pirello

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com ... 0289&st=60

http://jonmichaelsmusic.com/bio.php



Thanks for the links, those were pretty entertaining. Love that everyone who watches seems to think the singer's creepy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Posts

3175

Joined

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:34 am

Location

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Christina Cooks

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:49 pm

I stand corrected! But, I was pretty certain I saw one episode when she acknowledged her husband and the rest of the band members. Must be misremembering! :?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Posts

5264

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Christina Cooks

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:16 pm

Here is a short article about Christina.
http://www.christinacooks.com/my_story
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

2096

Joined

Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Location

NJ

Re: Christina Cooks

by Frank Deis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Here is a short article about Christina.
http://www.christinacooks.com/my_story


Christina wrote:one of America’s preeminent authorities on natural and whole foods


Who could argue with that?

I had read a brief bio on Huffington that went into her history of leukemia cured by diet...

I'm glad she's better.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign