Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grandma's Spanish Seasoning is gone?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Grandma's Spanish Seasoning is gone?

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:51 pm

I grew up with my mom cooking with this product and I have also used it all my married life. Over the weekend I ran out of my beloved spice except for a zesty version which is not as good as the original. So I went on a search and found out the a company called Williams Foods has brought this seasoning back. I ordered on-line from Amazon.com.

This was so popular, I cannot imagine why it was discontinued but I did read that the sales had been slow for this product. For me, it was the one spice that gave our family chili an excellent flavor. Other chili powders have their own distinct taste such as Chipotle, Ancho, etc. Grandma's just had that je ne sais quoi.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Grandma's Spanish Seasoning is gone?

by Jenise » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:45 am

No idea, Karen, never heard of it. Does the bottle list the ingredients such that you can try to put your own copycat version together?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:59 am

Jenise wrote:No idea, Karen, never heard of it. Does the bottle list the ingredients such that you can try to put your own copycat version together?

I did try it once Jenise, but could not get the taste right, I think I had the wrong peppers. It really is in unique taste. Plus, a nice thing about this powder, it does not have the heat most do. So it is great for the flavor and yet making dishes for folks who cannot tolerate heat or for children.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Karen, based on reviews at Amazon, this might be worth the $17 gamble. Same manufacturer and according to the review a reasonable facsimile of Grandma's.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:Karen, based on reviews at Amazon, this might be worth the $17 gamble. Same manufacturer and according to the review a reasonable facsimile of Grandma's.

I did order it and it is on the way....I will post when I try it out.