The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Slovenia, Tuscany, and GAlicia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Slovenia, Tuscany, and GAlicia

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Last night took Betsy to The Cookery, an excellent Italian restaurant in our village. They are actually corkage friendly, but this time I decided to just do BTG from list. Betsy had a cauliflower puree soup, I started with a dish of grilled cuttlefish with a tangy potato salad, one of the best appetizers I’ve had in a while. A glass of the 2011 Finca os Cobatos Godello ( Monterrei). Crisp and enjoyable, fairly light, nectarines and orange zest, nice minerally finish. B+

My main was a beautiful small lemony branzino with roast potatoes and celery/olive gremolata. I had a glass of the 2010 Kogl, “Mea Culpa “ Pinot Gris (Slovenia)
Almonds and citrus, fleshy, floral. B-

Betsy had a steak with vincotto, plus escarole and goose fat potatoes. She had a glass of the 2009 Castello Di Spaltenna Chianti Classico (which I of course tried). Rounder, softer style of Chianti, plums and cherries, straightforward and a bit fruitforward. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Slovenia, Tuscany, and GAlicia

by Rahsaan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2010 Kogl, “Mea Culpa “ Pinot Gris (Slovenia)

That's some name for a wine!

I assume it's not supposed to refer to the wine itself. Perhaps what you do after (inevitably) drinking too much of the wine.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:2010 Kogl, “Mea Culpa “ Pinot Gris (Slovenia)

That's some name for a wine!

I assume it's not supposed to refer to the wine itself. Perhaps what you do after (inevitably) drinking too much of the wine.

They have a special reserver release. It's called "Mea Maxima Culpa." :D
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:58 pm

I can't swear to the name, I got it off chalkboard. But while I agree it's a funny choice, I've seen a lot of funny choices. My personal fave was noticing a shirt someone donated. The brand name was Rigoletto. You know, the shirt for when you're trying to pull off that "tragic hunchback who has own daughter killed by mistake" look.