The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need Cooler Company Recommendation?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Need Cooler Company Recommendation?

by Clint Hall » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:58 am

My wife has the idea that for Christmas we should give a free standing wine cooler to our married son, who doesn't drink a whole lot of wine but thinks it would be cool to own a cooler. I suppose something on the order of a 42-bottle cooler might be about the right size. He or she can select the cooler, but what would be the best company for them to select from? Son lives in a suburb of Dallas.
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Re: Need Cooler Company Recommendation?

by Joshua Kates » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi Clint,

I am familiar with a fair range of these, as I have yet to transform my "wine room" into a single actually functioning cellar. If you are not looking for aesthetics (if you are, I'm of no help) lately I've been liking the models made by Danby. Their racks are rubber coated and do not damage the labels, and their cooling is relatively constant. (I haven't had them for that long, so I can't speak to their longevity.)

I buy them online and do a bit of shopping and price comparison (though, as recently reported in the NYT, online prices now change constantly); most recently I bought a 35 bottle unit from Home Depot for a little over $200 (including shipping).

I hope that's of some help,
Best,
Josh
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:36 am

Well Clint, I would put in word for EuroCave. I have owned one for 25 years and it has performed perfectly and never required a single repair!
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks, Josh, Tom. I'll forward your recommendations to the decision makers.