The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NakedWines.com??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NakedWines.com??

by TomHill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Anybody had any of these wines:
SFChron:NakedWines

They appear to have RandallGrahm on board.
Tom
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: NakedWines.com??

by Steve Slatcher » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 am

They have been operating in the UK for a few years now. Their business practices stepped over the line of what is acceptable a few times, which has got them in trouble with our Advertising Standards Authority. Many wine geeks are deeply sceptical, but I can see positive sides too.

For more details (see the comments too) here's my blog post on them and some of their wines:
http://www.winenous.co.uk/wp/archives/1749
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 am

I tasted a Naked Chardonnay recently before a meal at a restaurant. There was no oak, but not much else either - no real minerality and not much acidity. To my taste there is nothing that recommends this wine. It would definitely benefit from a touch of oak. Maybe then they could re-name it "Semi-Clothed Chardonnay." :-)

PS: Oops! I tasted "The Naked Grape Chardonnay". That's a different thing altogether. I guess I should have visited the linked site before commenting.
Last edited by Sam Platt on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Some clever use of social networking style that's been successful in gathering those less (wine) geeky. The encouragement of interaction between winemakers and customers is also a laudable concept.

However as Steve says, they have overstepped the mark and there have been plenty of accusations of them 'astroturfing' discussions (be that by over-zealous followers, or people within the company itself is hard to tell). It certainly has seemed like there was 'choreography' involved.

So elements of what they've done could be applauded (and should be learnt from), but overall I've found them a disturbing organisation in the great tradition of marketing-led companies.

regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Not the same at all, Sam. Naked Wines is not a wine brand - it is an online merchant that started in the UK, and now apparently dipping their toes in the US market.

As always, Ian gives a very balanced view. I would only add that they did not get into trouble with the ASA for astroturfing, but for signing people up for monthly commitments of money without making it obvious enough. As mentioned on my blog, they also made unjustified claims about levels of discounting, though that is fixed now (I suspect also after complaints to the ASA).

(I see you edited your post as I typed, Sam, and have already spotted what I have just said.)