The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Do you use different wine glasses for different wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Do you use different wine glasses for different wines?

by Jeff B » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:59 pm

I know you're supposed to, but I use a medium length Chardonnay/white wine glass for any wine I might drink. I don't use a champagne flute. I love the elegance and mid-size volume of the "Chardonnay glass" and have a hard time using anything else. I guess you get attached to your favorite glass just like you do favorite wines. :)

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/riedel-vinum-chardonnay-wine-glasses-(set-of-2).asp

Oh, and I'm also "off the wall" in that I always hold the glass by the bowl, never the stem. I just can't hold glasses by the stem while drinking. :)

Feel free to show off the glass(es) you use.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Do you use different wine glasses for different wines?

by Lou Kessler » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 pm

I guess we'll plead guilty to being wine geeks. We have eight different size Riedel glasses we use for wine. Dessert, port, cabernet, pinot noir, chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, champagne flutes, zinfandel. Many of these serve double duty N. Rhone S. Rhone etc.
Oh by the way we have both attended the Riedel workshops where they sample you on the different wines with and without their glasses & they do make a difference without a doubt. Went to these exhibits as total nonbelievers and were astounded by the pronounced differences between wines in different types of glasses.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Sometimes.

When we have guests in, definitely.

By ourselves, occasionally with the exception of flutes for bobbles; that's almost always.

I used to be pretty particular about stemware but I've mellowed.
And while I can't afford them, my favorite glass is the Riedel Hermitage, sommelier. I'd use it for anything.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:25 am

I have an odd collection of flutes that I use for bubblies. I also have a few Reidels - 5 Vinum Bordeaux, 2 Vinum Pinot Noir and 4 red wine. I also have an assortment of lesser glassware that I've acquired over time.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 am

I use the same glass for both red and white. I like its shape and it fits in my dishwasher which is important to me as I don't like hand washing every day.

I use flutes for Champagne and sparkling wines, I have two types, one with short stem that goes in dishwasher and another which I love and and currently use most of the time but needs handwashing (and thus I have broken about half of them now)

And for dessert wines I use the small ISO glass - most are souvenirs from various wineries so its memory lane seeing the names and logos from around the world on the glass.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 am

Reidel Bordeaux for cab based reds, Reidel Burgundy for PN based reds, Reidel white wine for all whites except champagne where I use flutes, not necessarily Reidel.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 am

We use a generic set of flutes for bubblies and dessert wines. For everything else we use Stolzle Mature wine glasses that I picked up in bulk at TJ Maxx at $8 per six. We have all kinds of other higher end glasses including a couple Reidel Sommelier. The Sommeliers are basically museum pieces that I am afraid to breathe on, let alone drink wine out of.

We do trot out some better stems when company comes over, but drinking from a glass that I have to worry about breaking does kill the enjoyment somewhat.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Sam Platt wrote: drinking from a glass that I have to worry about breaking does kill the enjoyment somewhat.

Ditto - can't remember lasy time I used the few Riedel I have left...

But I am tempted by the Riedel 'Oregon Pinot Noir' glass I saw in Willamette which can hold an entire bottle.. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Reidel Bordeaux for cab based reds, Reidel Burgundy for PN based reds, Reidel white wine for all whites except champagne where I use flutes, not necessarily Reidel.

Ditto, but like Jeff I prefer my champagne (and most 'OTHER' whites, incl Suav Blanc) in a chardonnay glass and drink most of my chardonnays out of the burgundy glass. I have a lot of other glasses that I use just because I have them, but over time I've gravitated toward a smaller array. Or, like Jim Cowan, you could say I've mellowed.

Speaking of Riedel Bordeaux, in another thread the cost of the Riedel restaurant-version Bordeaux came up, wholesale vs. retail. I can now confirm: wholesale is $67 a dozen. I just picked up a case.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:46 pm

I have a ton of different glasses, and vary according to wine, but the most used are probably Schott Zweisel Chardonnay glasses- I use for most whites, plus lots of lighter reds (a good proportion of what we drink) such as Beaujolais or lighter Loires.
I love the Zalto glasses (especially the Champagne and White Wine), but only have 1 of each, so usually used those when alone.
I do tend to use SZ Bordeaux glasses for Bordeaux/CS/Merlot, and SZ Burg for Pinot Noir (or big white Burgundy).
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:39 pm

I have quite a few different glasses, too. For most whites and certain reds, I'll use the Riedel Syrah/Zinfandel design (I forget which it actually is). It is large enough, has a decent shape and fits in the dishwasher. For aromatic reds such as Pinot Noir or Nebbiolo, I'll use a bowl-shaped "Burgundy" design. For Bordeaux and Cabernet, I use a bigger glass. For Champagne and other sparkling wines, I use a smaller glass or, for more festive occasions, a flute.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:For most whites and certain reds, I'll use the Riedel Syrah/Zinfandel design (I forget which it actually is). It is large enough, has a decent shape and fits in the dishwasher. For aromatic reds such as Pinot Noir or Nebbiolo, I'll use a bowl-shaped "Burgundy" design.

This is pretty much what I do: Riedel Vinum Shiraz/Syrah is my general all-purpose.

I've also liked the Riedel Vitis Riesling as a more elegant white wine glass but I need to get more.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Sometimes.

When we have guests in, definitely.

By ourselves, occasionally with the exception of flutes for bobbles; that's almost always.

I used to be pretty particular about stemware but I've mellowed.
And while I can't afford them, my favorite glass is the Riedel Hermitage, sommelier. I'd use it for anything.

Best, Jim

Same here just about exactly.
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 pm

I have long used Bordeaux glasses for stronger reds and Burgundy glasses for lighter reds and found a difference using them. I just used one white wine glass, sold as a Chardonnay glass, for everything other than sparklers. On an impulse I recently bought a set of Sauv Blanc / Riesling glasses. My wife and I tried several whites in both the Chardonnay glass and the Sauv Blanc glass. We found a bigger difference than we saw in the two red wine glasses. We now use the Chard glasses for Chardonnay (strong) and the Sauv Blanc glasses for almost everything else (less strong). Add some flutes for sparklers and some smaller glasses for dessert wines and that's the collection. The only one I'm not sure of is the flute. I've been putting sparklers into the other white wine glasses and seem to taste more, although the wine does go flat faster.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 am

I don't understand why anyone would need to wear different glasses for different wines.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:29 pm

I basically use two types of glass.

For reds Riedel Vinum Syrah and for whites Riedel Vinum Chardonnay.

For everyday purposes I have a cheaper glass of similar shape to Riedel's Syrah and over the years I have picked up mainly at tastings a number of Spiegelau, etc. glasses similar to or even, for me, slightly better shaped than Riedel's Chardonnay.

For champagne, I personally prefer a glass of the Riedel Chardonnay shape but popular demand in the family demands flutes and we even have one friend who asks us to bring out an old-fashioned wide "coupe".
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 pm

In my humble opinion, part of the fun of being a wine geek is to have several type of glasses, decanters, corkscrews, etc. I have 7-8 sets of glasses but I mostly use Mikasa Vivendi Burgundy for reds and Riedel Vinum Chardonnay for whites.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:28 pm

My standard is the Riedel Vinum Chianti/Zin glass or its Schott Zweisel equivalent. I will pull out the Ridel (or Spiegelau) Pinot Noir glasses for Pinot/Burgs and also Nebbiolo based wines. I have Riesling specific glasses but rarely use them as they are so tiny. Laura still likes Champagne flutes, but i prefer bubbles from a regular glass.

Then in the closet (so rarely used right now) are a few extra boxes (picked up on sale) of Burg and Bordeaux stems, as well as a couple of Syrah glasses, Tempranillo glasses, tasting glasses & some more sturdy Bordeaux type stems for groups. Then there are the 4 (2 Sauternes, 2 Zin) Riedel Sommelier series stems that get pulled out once in a while.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Redwinger wrote:I don't understand why anyone would need to wear different glasses for different wines.

Ok Redwinger I give your wise ass remark one gold YUK. :) Wouldn't want you to think that nobody reads your comments. :wink:
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Ok Redwinger I give your wise ass remark one gold YUK. Wouldn't want you to think that nobody reads your comments.

You're only going to encourage him, Lou. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:19 am

Peter May
But I am tempted by the Riedel 'Oregon Pinot Noir' glass I saw in Willamette which can hold an entire bottle..

True enough. It was quite a demonstration too. After watching as half the bottle was poured into the glass we were asked whether the rest would fit too. Certainly not, everyone thought, then watched in surprise as the the rest of the bottle was emptied into the glass. We also were told that the Oregon Pinot Noir glass became such a hit that the Californians wanted Riedel to design one for them too. Riedel saw where this was going and decided that the Oregon Pinot Noir glass would henceforth be called the Pinot Noir glass.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Ditto, but like Jeff I prefer my champagne (and most 'OTHER' whites, incl Suav Blanc) in a chardonnay glass and drink most of my chardonnays out of the burgundy glass. I have a lot of other glasses that I use just because I have them, but over time I've gravitated toward a smaller array. Or, like Jim Cowan, you could say I've mellowed.

Speaking of Riedel Bordeaux, in another thread the cost of the Riedel restaurant-version Bordeaux came up, wholesale vs. retail. I can now confirm: wholesale is $67 a dozen. I just picked up a case.

Next Champage, Jenise, I'll try a chardonnay glass.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Part of the reason I like a Chardonnay glass for champagne is its elegant look but the other reason is functional - my nose tends to bump the rim if I use a flute. It's kind of like bumping noses when kissing - it just doesn't work... :lol:

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Jeff B wrote:I know you're supposed to, but I use a medium length Chardonnay/white wine glass for any wine I might drink.I don't use a champagne flute.

I don't quite know why, but I am uneasy drinking sparklers out of anything other than a flute. It just seems to mess with the natural order of things, though I do respect the non-flute leanings of others.
Sam

Next