The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Calif/WashState Rhones...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: New Calif/WashState Rhones...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:02 pm

We tasted earlier this month (11/1/06) some Calif & WashState Rhones:

1. Rulo Combine WallaWallaVlly WW (82% SauvBlanc; 18% Viognier; 14.0%)) 2005: Light gold color;
fairly fragrant/SB some perfumey/floral/V nose; tart rather citric/grapefruity some herbal/
grassy/SB bit rich/round slight floral flavor; med.long rather citric/grapefruity finish;
a nice SB w/ a slight floral character. $18.00
character and no Viog varietal; tasted of rotted grapes. $22.00
pear/floral/V flavor; med.long soft/fat rather appley/Chard slight floral finish; a bit of
Viog in the nose but mostly Chard on the palate. $24.00
light pear/V/floral flavor; med.long soft/fat rather Viog/pear slight appley strong caramel/oak
finish; a pretty nice Viog but pretty heavy on the oak. $21.00
$24.00
soft/fat very ripe some pencilly/toasty/oak ripe/floral/honeysuckle finish; lots of ripe/
overripe character and a noticible oak; bit lacking in structure. $32.00
toasty/oak ripe finish; a slobbery/StBernard sort of Viognier but likable. $29.00
attractive ripe/lush rather Roussanne in style Viognier; pretty pricey at $55.00
$81.50
toasty/oak flavor; long ripe/lush hard/tannic ripe/blackberry/Syrah/jammy/boysenberry finish;
great some Rhonish nose but hard on the palate; needs some yrs but ?? $18.00
lean/hard flavor; long fairly tannic/hard herbal/Cab some Syrah/blackberry bit toasty finish;
interesting/unusual rendition of Syrah; needs 2-5 yrs; bit pricey at $45.00
long hard/tannic vanilla/oak bit lean rather blackberry/licorice/Syrah Oz-like finish; needs
several yrs; very interesting nose but rather hard/tannic on the palate. $34.00
ample tannins; needs much age; not a lot of Syrah character but one of the best Bdx-like Cabs I've
had from SantaBarbara. $36.00
charred/Fr.oak rather strong blackberry/Syrah some pungent/walnutty/coffee/mocha fairly tannic
finish; needs 2-6 yrs of age; a big pungent strapping NapaVlly Syrah. $37.00/hlf
_________________________________________________________________________________
And the usual blatherings from the BloodyPulpit:
1. This was one of the largest collections of WashState whites I've had, mostly of the Rhone
persuasion. Can't say I was overwhelmed by them. They seem to display much the same WashState
terroir that I find in their Syrahs. I think the Harlequin Viognier is far better than these
Viogniers and the McCrea whites rather more interesting.
vis-a-vis the competition out there.
quality. Since leaving ZacaMesa some yrs ago, he's been consulting for various SantaBarbara
wineries and making a bit of wine on his own. It's been a number of yrs since I tried his wines
and so ordered a selection after reading some good reports online on the Oasis. It's always nice
to go back and visit an old...errrr...long-time friend.
I liked the wine quite a bit. It had good French/Syrah character a bit like a Graillot, though
the smokey/roasted character was a bit ersatz/oaky. Still, it was too pricey for me, when you
can get a Lagier-Meredith at almost half the price.
Tom
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: WTN: New Calif/WashState Rhones...(long/boring)

by ClarkDGigHbr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:47 am

I tasted two of these wines when visiting Walla Walla three months ago.

Rulo Combine WallaWallaVlly WW (82% SauvBlanc; 18% Viognier; 14.0%)) 2005: Light gold color; fairly fragrant/SB some perfumey/floral/V nose; tart rather citric/grapefruity some herbal/ grassy/SB bit rich/round slight floral flavor; med.long rather citric/grapefruity finish; a nice SB w/ a slight floral character. $18.00

I loved this wine, because it allowed the characteristics of two white grapes I particularly enjoy to beautifully complement each other. It was $15 at the winery.

Reininger Helix Aspersa ColumbiaVlly (60% Viognier, 40% Chard; http://www.ReiningerWinery.com; Oasis & Willard vnyds; 14.3%) 2005: Med.light gold color; rather toasty/graham crackers/caramel/butterscotch/oak attractive strong pear/V nose; soft/fat/very ripe some caramel/butterscotch/oak light pear/V/floral flavor; med.long soft/fat rather Viog/pear slight appley strong caramel/oak finish; a pretty nice Viog but pretty heavy on the oak. $21.00

I hated this wine, because there is simply no good justification for ruining a potentially good Viognier by adding Chardonnay to it. It was $18 at the winery.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Viog/Chard Blend...

by TomHill » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:11 am

Clark,
Nothing wrong w/ that kind of blend, actually. The Reininger was not a particularly good example.
But there have been some pretty good ones. SineQuaNon as done some interesting ones. The best is probably BobLindquist/Qupe BienNacido Cuvee; quite a nice wine for an attractive price.
But, you're right, that Rulo blend has a synergism that makes it quite a nice wine.
Tom
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:11 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:
Reininger Helix Aspersa ColumbiaVlly (60% Viognier, 40% Chard; http://www.ReiningerWinery.com; Oasis & Willard vnyds; 14.3%) 2005: Med.light gold color; rather toasty/graham crackers/caramel/butterscotch/oak attractive strong pear/V nose; soft/fat/very ripe some caramel/butterscotch/oak light pear/V/floral flavor; med.long soft/fat rather Viog/pear slight appley strong caramel/oak finish; a pretty nice Viog but pretty heavy on the oak. $21.00

I hated this wine, because there is simply no good justification for ruining a potentially good Viognier by adding Chardonnay to it. It was $18 at the winery.

-- Clark

I've had a love/hate relationship with the Aspersa as well. First time I tasted it (within weeks after the first bottling,) I didn't care for it at all. When I retasted a few months later though, I thought it was a fine quaffer. That was a good year ago now though, so it's quite possible you're reporting on something different than I tasted.

The Helix Red Blend "Pomatia" is a different thing altogether. It's been consistently one of my favorite red blends in the state. It has great aromatic complexity, notably with a sea-salt component, that makes it easy to match with food.

Dave
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:27 pm

Ooh! Going to have to find me a bottle of that Rulo. Thanks Tom and Clark.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:37 pm

MTBakerDave wrote:The Helix Red Blend "Pomatia" is a different thing altogether. It's been consistently one of my favorite red blends in the state. It has great aromatic complexity, notably with a sea-salt component, that makes it easy to match with food.

Dave

I agree. I also tasted the Pomatia and found it to be an interesting red blend: four different grapes, 50% is Cabernet Sauvignon.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:53 pm

:?:

Tom, why do you always put long/boring in your subject lines? That has not been my experience reading them.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well, Cynthia....

by TomHill » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:04 am

Back in the olden days, just after AlGore had invented the InterNet, and BulletinBoards , such as Robin's here, were starting to become popular; back when line speeds for downloading were not blindingly fast as they are now; it was the convention to follow the subject line of your post with "long" as a courtesy/warning to readers that the post might have a long download time. JPGs/photos?? Forget about it...jpg's hadn't been invented yet.
So.....when I post a lengthy set of tasting notes like these, force of habit has me append "long" after the title. And..you have to admit...my tasting notes can sometimes be rather tedious and boring to read.
So....(long/boring) has sorta been my convention when posting long tasting notes on these BBs. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Tom
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Well, Cynthia....

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:26 pm

Ah! It's just a holdover. I still append "long" to e-mail posts to discussion lists when appropriate, but I've never used "boring." I don't think your TN are tedious or boring, btw.

For those of us who have been online a long, long time.... remember Lynx?
:)