The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rumblings on wine: countdown to the end of the world edition

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Rumblings on wine: countdown to the end of the world edition

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:35 pm

A few thoughts as we lumber towards the end of the world.

Should I be sourcing a bottle of Dalla Valle Maya?

Today is 12/12/12. Does that mean I am supposed to buy three cases of wine?

No matter how much Champagne I own, it’s not enough. Every time Laura and I drink Champagne I think “why do I buy anything else.” The last time she proceeded to remind me of a stupendous 1990 J. J. Christoffel Riesling Auslese, which set me straight…for a few minutes. Guess I am just in a Champagne phase right now. Don’t even get me started about Champagne in magnums. How I did not buy Champagne in magnum before late 2011 I have no idea. Crazy.

I’ve heard tales that the age of Robert Parker has come and gone, but whenever there is any shred of news involving him the wine-ternet lights up like a Christmas tree. Granted it’s mostly mudslinging, but if someone can cause that much of a reaction has their age really gone by? I think not.

We are living in an age of fantastic “bad” vintages. Someone described the 2008 Allemand Cornas Chiallot as lean and thin. Are normal vintages of Allemand declassified Auslese? ;^) And in a related question, how can 2008 in the Northern Rhone be described in any way as a “bad” vintage? No, 2008 will never be described as a vintage of the century, but it could pass for great if one slips back in time.

Speaking of Champagne, I had a chance to taste some wine from a producer called Mousse Fils. They specialize in Pinot Meunier. I was amazed at the depth of the NV bottling I tried. It wasn’t the most complex Champagne ever poured, but it sure would have been an interesting way to pair “white” wine with red meat.

Lots of publications and people are talking about their “wine(s) of the year” right now. Am I supposed to have a wine of the year? I don’t have one. I’ve had lots of wonderful wines in 2012. Some were supposed to be wonderful (see the aforementioned 1990 Christoffel Auslese, or a 1959 Calon Segur that Salil graciously opened), while others were humble wines that performed well beyond their pedigree. There’s no way to list all of the wines that enthralled me over the course of the year.

I may not have a wine of the year, but I do have a winery. Apologies to all of my other favorites (e.g. Donnhoff, Edmunds St. John, etc.), but my winery of the year for 2012 is Arnot-Roberts. I’ve had so many interesting wines from Arnot-Roberts this year that it is hard to keep track. From their Rose of Touriga National to the Sangiovese, with a lot of others in between, I have found them interesting and complex. Most of the wines are not too expensive, and the alcohol levels are generally quite restrained. I’m a big fan.

Finally, it’s the holiday season, so Merry Christmas to all, or have a happy whatever you happen to be celebrating. If not…Go Irish!…or Roll Tide!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Rumblings on wine: countdown to the end of the world edition

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:57 pm

The Arnot Roberts basic 2010 Sonoma Coast....why did I not buy more? :(

Why are we not listing "Wines of the Long Count"?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:00 pm

Sonoma Coast what?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I’ve heard tales that the age of Robert Parker has come and gone, but whenever there is any shred of news involving him the wine-ternet lights up like a Christmas tree. Granted it’s mostly mudslinging, but if someone can cause that much of a reaction has their age really gone by? I think not.

His age may not be over. But to the extent that people new to wine are probably less and less influenced by/interested in Parker, I would guess that his relevance is decreasing?

Which is fine. It happens to everyone. And it's not like he didn't have a good ride!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Sonoma Coast what?

Oops. Syrah. My bad!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:41 am

David Bueker wrote:Don’t even get me started about Champagne in magnums. How I did not buy Champagne in magnum before late 2011 I have no idea. Crazy.

There is a very direct correlation between Champagne served in a magnum and my level of inebriation. For that reason I actually shy away from purchasing ANY sparkler in large format.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:51 am

Sam Platt wrote:
David Bueker wrote:Don’t even get me started about Champagne in magnums. How I did not buy Champagne in magnum before late 2011 I have no idea. Crazy.

There is a very direct correlation between Champagne served in a magnum and my level of inebriation. For that reason I actually shy away from purchasing ANY sparkler in large format.

We've found that when 4 wine geeks get together that a magnum is pretty much mandatory.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:42 am

I was going to ask about the magnum thing. Since Champagne loses its bubbles after being open awhile I was thinking that a magnum would be too much for one evening but with four people maybe not.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:05 am

JC,

I keep half finished (gasp) bottles of Champagne in the fridge overnight, and they remain fairly bubbly. Never had a magnum last long enough to go flat.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 am

I keep half finished (gasp) bottles of Champagne in the fridge overnight...

Would you please explain this "half finished Champagne" phenomenon, David? I've never heard that term used before and I find it difficult to conceptualize. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:21 pm

8) Well Sam, sometimes we run out of steam during the second bottle. 8)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:03 pm

We thought the world would end, and so we made
a quiche, potato salad, lemonade,
and went down to the Point to watch the earth
open like a Titan giving birth
to a god, the rivers torn toward empty space
as if the edge of a medieval map, grace-
enshrouded, monster-guarded, void and deep
as an old mind entering death from sleep.
Well, shortly after noon it clouded up.
There was a little snow. A single boat
moved slowly toward the West End Bridge. I drank
some decent wine out of a plastic cup.
A distant siren sang a quavering note.
Someone tossed a stone, which skipped, then sank.

Jacob Bacharach (Who Was Ioz) :mrgreen: