Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Looking for a new juicer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Looking for a new juicer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:34 pm

I've had my juicer for a very long time, I used it a lot in the beginning but the thing was so dang hard to clean. It had a filter that took out all the pith, seeds, membrane, and simply just extracted any juice. It took me forever to scrub that filter to get all the stuff out of it. I gave up and put it away in the dark depths of the garage. Yesterday, I saw Giada de Laurentis in a video clip showing her morning routine three days a week and prior to filming. Before yoga, she mixed up a green juice which had apples, celery, spinach, fresh whole lemon, and fresh ginger. It looked very good and the reviews on the recipe were very favorable. I don't know how the new juicers work. I would like a to be able to use all my lemon, even the zest. Does anyone have a good juicer they are using and can you tell me any pros and cons?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Looking for a new juicer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Update on my quest, considering a new juicer. I dragged my old one out and made the juice I had mentioned and it was delicious. However, it brought out memories on why I quit juicing. The extra work involved in the mornings, which should not be a problem with a retired person, right? But it is!
Also, the amount of veggies one has to buy to juice, plus the other amount just to get in the fiber one needs to consume for proper health and digestion kept me in the grocery store more than I wanted to be, especially in winter. So, as much as I would like to enjoy many delicious concoctions, I've decided since I don't have kitchen staff, I am sticking with no juicing. If any of you do juice, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.
no avatar
User

Daisy D

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:43 pm

PVB, FL

Re: Looking for a new juicer

by Daisy D » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:02 pm

We have the Breville Juice Fountain Multi-Speed http://www.brevilleusa.com/beverages/juicers/juice-fountain-multi-speed.html

Like any new toy, it was used constantly when we first took it out of the box. I did not have any issues with the cleaning; the filter is relatively easy to clean and all the parts are dishwasher safe, so after a few hand rinses after multiple uses, I put it through the dishwasher to make sure I'm getting it truly clean.

Yes, the amount of produce one uses to make even a large glass of juice is surprising, but we found it to be a good way to make it through our large box of fruits/veggies that we have delivered from the local CSA every other week. We use something with every dinner, but found we were still struggling to make it through each delivery so the juicer definitely aided in that.

While the novelty has worn off, I still use it regularly enough that I don't find myself asking why I purchased it.
...Eating is the only form of professionalism most people ever attain. - Don Delillo