The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Briceland Wines...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Briceland Wines...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:25 pm

We tried last night (12/5/12) the Wines of BricelandVnyds:
1. BricelandVnyds Rose SparklingWine HumboltCnty (Methode Champenoise; 12.5%; 65% PN/35% Chard)
Redway/HumboldtCnty NV
: Rather copper/orange color w/ fine/enduring bubbles; rather yeasty/bready
some appley/perfumed light earthy attractive nose; rather appley/earthy/tangy some bready/yeasty slight
candied/cotton candy flavor; med.short tangy/appley/bready/yeasty/cinammon bread/spicy finish; an
altogether pleasant sparkler but seems overpriced relative to the other Briceland wines. $40.00
earthy/figgy/candied light appley/herbal/SB finish; a rather simple/pleasant/fruity white at a more than fair
price; has more character than most TJ's $10 whites. $10.00
soft light/tangy/grapefruity some floral/pineapple strong stony/earthy finish; a nicely done if low-impact
white that speaks definitely of Arneis at a very fair price. $17.00
bit vegetal finish; certainly speaks of the cat pee character of SB; a bit too intense for some, though. $18.00
more bright fruit than the HumboldtCnty Chard; a pleasant 4-square/MendoCnty Chard at a fair price. $21.00
metallic finish; a bit bigger/earthy/interesting and less bright fruit than the Lolonis; pleasant enough Chard
at a fair price. $21.00
a pretty/pleasant rose at a fair price. $16.00
w/ light tannins; med. some earthy/dusty/woodsy/mushroomy light black-bing cherry/PN light toasty/oak finish w/
light tannins; a light-bodied varietally-correct interesting Pinot. $23.00
cinammon light toasty/oak finish w/ light tannins; med.long fairly bright/black cherry/PN/cranberry/cherry pie
some earthy/loamy light toasty/oak finish w/ light tannins; more bright cherry fruit than the Bosco but the same
underlying earthy/dusty character; reminds me more of a Friuli Pinot or an AltoAdige PetiteRouge than a Calif
Pinot. $27.00
light tannins; med.long somewhat earthy/dusty/loamy/mushroomy light black cherry/PN/cherry pie light toasty/oak
bit spicy/cloves/cinammon finish w/ light tannins; not as much bright Pinot fruit as the Phelps and more of
the coarse/earthy character; quite an interesting Pinot. $27.00
long spicy/raspberry/Zin rather tomatoey/stewed tomatoes/MendoZin light vanilla/oak finish w/ light tannins;
has much of that stewed tomatoes character I often find in MendoCnty Zins; reminds me a lot of the old
Parducci Zins; pleasant enough Zin at a fair price. $21.00
pungent flavor w/ modest tannins; med.long strong cracked black pepper/herbal light earthy/mushroomy some
spicy/blackberry/Syrah slight pungent/licorice light smokey/oak/vanilla finish w/ modest tannins; needs
several yrs of age yet; has a noticible cracked pepper character I associate w/ cold-climate Syrah but
Kelsyville is hardly cold-climate; quite a nicely done Syrah at a fair price and my favorite of the
Bricelands. $21.00
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
More pontifications from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. HumboldtCnty: My first real/known introduction to HumboldtCnty (the county just north of Mendocino)
wines was when JohnCabot showed his Syrah at HdR some yrs ago. I was rather impressed w/ that wine.
But when I look at the wineries (http://humboldtwines.com/) that are in HumboldtCnty, my reaction is
"who be dat??".
I had known (in CyberSpace) AndrewMorris for several yrs on the WB board. I believe he's the chair of the
HumboldtCnty vintners association. I had often noted his "Briceland Vnyds" on his sig line but never gave
it much thought until I finally associated him w/ HumboldtCnty. Their WebSite (www.BricelandVineyards.com)
is pretty much non-existent, so I contacted him directly and he forwarded me a current price list. The
wines looked interesting and (hopefully) representative of HumboldtCnty; so I ordered a mixed case for my
group to try. The hope was that this would give me a better feel as to what HumboldtCnty had to offer as
a wine growing area.....at least as interpreted by Andrew's winemaking. Not sure that I actually accomplished
that goal. I'm still pretty clueless about HumboldtCnty wines in general.
This is an area of Calif that I've not explored ever at all. All the pics I've seen show very impressive
scenery, blanketed by huge redwood forests. It's an area I'd like to poke around a bit and get to know better.
So...what was my take on the Briceland wines?? I thought they were decent/well-made wines at a fair price.
The only one I didn't like was the SauvBlanc because of its overly-agressive herbal/cat-pee character that
reminded me too much of the onerous task of cleaning Boots' cat litter box afore I tasked my son to the job.
The Syrah, w/ its cracked pepper character, was my favorite of these wines. I found the Pinots the most
interesting of the wines. They didn't seem to show much of the high-toned/bright fruit character that you get
out of Pinots from down in Sonoma. They seemed to show somewhat of an earthy/dusty character that I most
often find in SantaCruzMtns Pinots, if anything. That earthy/dusty/loamy/herbal character is something I also
find in reds out of Stu's AlderSpringsVnyd...a vnyd whose terrain is, I think, like much of HumboldtCnty. The
Pinots reminded me some of AdamLee's PinotMeuniers as well.
These were not profound wines by any means...but interesting enough that I'd like to explore more the
HumboldtCnty wines.
So...what's my take on HumboldtCnty wines...acknowledging that my data base is pretty sparse?? I guess I
see no reason that HumboldtCnty can't grow wines as good as anywhere else in Calif. They remind me a bit of
Nevada and Calaveras Cnty in that, on paper, it's an area that can grow serious quality wines. JohnCabot's
Syrahs are ample evidence of that fact. The problem is that there are not enough great examples out there for
HumboldtCnty wines to be taken seriously. When you mention HumboldtCnty wines to most wine geeks...it's
sorta like.....snicker/snicker..."Ohhhh..they also grow wines in HumboldtCnty??". For that perception to
change, I think it behooves the HumboldtCnty growers to get some of their grapes into the hands of some
of the name/high-profile winemakers to the South. I'd absolutely love to see what AdamLee could do with
HumboldtCnty Pinot...or even Syrah. Then I think I could get a better feel of what HumboldtCnty can deliver
in the way of quality wines.
Anyway...HumboldtCnty..a place I really need to explore some day....both the wines and the scenery.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Briceland Wines...(long/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks for the report Tom. I have had three of the Briceland wines (two Pinots, and the Syrah), and my take is similar to yours: good, not profound. That said they are properly priced, and would make for good, regular drinking if I did not already have a cellar full of stuff!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Andrew Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:26 am

Southern Humboldt County, Nothern CA

Re: WTN: Briceland Wines...(long/boring)

by Andrew Morris » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:35 am

Tom & David,

I am glad that you like the wines of ours that you have tasted.

Tom, thanks for taking the time to write such detailed notes.

If either of you have space in your cellars, I'd suggest that you set aside a few bottles of one of our Pinots. I think that after some years in the bottle that you will find them more to your liking. It seems to me that some people only want to cellar wines that cost above a certain amount. Some of the aged bottles we have had recently have been outstanding.
Andrew Morris - ITB
Briceland Vineyards